Talk

Advanced search

Very awkward bathroom - critique my plan

(34 Posts)
Haint Sat 25-Mar-17 09:17:14

The room is 290cm x 160cm

it has two windows (the thick black bits)

i definitely want a full size bath so it will have to be an over the bath shower. That's fine. But the issue is the windows and having the shower head right next to one

i can't move the loo because of the position of the soil pipe. So the only solution I can think of is to have the shower head and valve in the middle of the bath a shower per attached photo. There will still be a window but it's not immediately adjacent to it

any comments on this set up or an alternative would be greatly appreciated. Thank you

wowfudge Sat 25-Mar-17 09:20:40

The obvious thing is to swap the bath and loo over so the loo either has the window behind and above it or at right angles to it. Bath against was with no window.

Or put the shower at the non-window end of the bath.

itstheyearzero Sat 25-Mar-17 09:26:04

Can't the bath go where the basin is and vice versa?

itstheyearzero Sat 25-Mar-17 09:27:37

Oh ignore me sorry its the loo I was looking at. But moving the loo would be the best option albeit a PITA because off the soil pipe.

Boulshired Sat 25-Mar-17 09:29:52

The soil pipe does not need to move just the connection. I have two toilets next to each other divided by a wall. One enters directly out the other enters from the side.

heffalumpshavewrinkles Sat 25-Mar-17 09:32:10

If you swap the bath and loo (not a huge deal) it would also make the room feel more spacious when you enter

MissDuke Sat 25-Mar-17 09:33:21

Is it possible to have the shower fixed to the wall at the window end, so on the wall you currently have it but right up at the end near the window? I cannot picture how you would manage with a shower screen if the shower goes in the middle?

Haint Sat 25-Mar-17 09:33:27

Could the soil pipe travel under the floor to that wall? The top wall is the external one and the pipe currently exits in that corner

Can't afford to move the soil pipe to the left hand wall I don't think unless

Haint Sat 25-Mar-17 09:36:46

Shower screen not a problem. I'm happy with a curtain shock
We have a lovely anthropologie one that gets bunged in the washing machine periodically.

BernieKosar Sat 25-Mar-17 09:37:32

You can get windows where the blind is between the double glazing panes. You could then have your shower in front of the window.

Integral blinds

MissDuke Sat 25-Mar-17 09:39:36

Those blinds are cool! But I think it still leaves the issue as to where to attach the shower?

MissDuke Sat 25-Mar-17 09:41:12

OP that isn't so bad then but do consider whether you are likely to sell anytime soon as I do think most would prefer to be able to install a screen

Haint Sat 25-Mar-17 09:41:35

The bath is actually currently where the wash basin is on the plan with an overhead shower on that right hand wall. It's a pain in the arse having water all over the windowsill, it's destroying the grout and tiles and seeping into the wall below despite all being sealed and sloping. We have a Venetian blind so the neighbours aren't given an eyeful but we have to replace it every few months

Haint Sat 25-Mar-17 09:42:20

Never moving from here (despite the tiny shit bathroom) grin

Boulshired Sat 25-Mar-17 09:43:57

My downstairs loo pipes travel under the hallway floor boards. I do have a pee only policy but that is to do with smell though.

user1471530109 Sat 25-Mar-17 09:44:32

I have my shower over bath next to a window. No other choice. I have PVC Venetian blinds so it doesn't matter if they get wet. I also try and angle to spray so it's not directly on them. To be honest, it's more a pain making sure to wipe any water sat in the tiles sill. I have a glass screen though. I think a curtain would allow water to drop down to floor (I have messy kids).

Haint Sat 25-Mar-17 09:45:20

So I think it cones down to whether the loo and bath can be swapped and the additional cost of getting the soil pipe from new position to come out on the existing position 🤔

Budget is pretty much non existent

So we don't think that a shower in the middle of the bath is an insurmountable problem? Screen excepted

Deux Sat 25-Mar-17 09:47:38

If you're there for the long haul then the best thing to do is to move the loo. Then you'll have everything where you want it.

It's not a big job usually and should be fairly straightforward for the plumber/builder.

I had a toilet moved from an external wall to an internal wall for similar issues.

wowfudge Sat 25-Mar-17 09:48:55

You could fit a separate shower in there though there wouldn't be much free space. Move loo as suggested previously, shower in corner where loo was and leave bath where it is.

AverysillyoldHector Sat 25-Mar-17 09:49:16

You absolutely mustn't buy blinds from that company until they've proof read their pages...

'discretly' and 'discrete' grin

Cakescakescakes Sat 25-Mar-17 09:49:31

We had similar and got rid of one of the windows! Plaster board then whole bathroom retiled. From outside wid ow is still there but from inside it is a neat tidy one window bathroom with desperate corner shower and bath. Several neighbours have done the same thing.

Cakescakescakes Sat 25-Mar-17 09:49:47

Outside window

Cakescakescakes Sat 25-Mar-17 09:50:11

Flip sake. SEPERATE corner shower and bath.

TynesideBlonde Sat 25-Mar-17 09:53:37

I'd brick up a window and poss make the other larger to compensate. You could accommodate separate shower too then if you wanted to.

Boulshired Sat 25-Mar-17 09:59:32

If cost is the biggest problem then the shower in the middle can be ok
fscomps.fotosearch.com/compc/UNS/UNS031/u18957832.jpg

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now