Advanced search

Today's idiot question by a homeowning newbie - joiners?!

(10 Posts)
BabCNesbitt Sat 25-Mar-17 08:27:43

We have a couple of jobs in the house but we're not sure who to be contacting about them:

1. Our survey said that the end of one joist needed fixed/replaced (forget which off the top of my head).

2. We had a flood from the bathroom through to the kitchen a month ago. It's left us with a crack in the kitchen ceiling that needs repaired and replastered and the light fixture reattached (it still works ok), but I'm not sure if there's any other structural damage between the two floors.

3. Cracks are appearing up the side walls of the staircase close to the stairs (it's a narrow one with walls on both sides that runs up the middle of our Victorian terrace). I'd like someone to look and see if they think it's a problem with the staircase coming loose somehow, or if it's just new plaster cracking. (Yes, we did get a full survey done!)

Is it a joiner we need to look for? And how do we know what kind to look for? I mean, some specialise in kitchens or shelving, so is there a name for a joiner that specialises in structural queries? I feel like a right twit asking this sort of question, but I'm utterly clueless about this!

wowfudge Sat 25-Mar-17 08:36:39

General builder I think.

AuditAngel Sat 25-Mar-17 08:38:02

Is this a new build? If so, snagging goes to the builder/house building company you bought from. Otherwise, general builder

PigletJohn Sat 25-Mar-17 11:26:26

those are carpentry jobs

PigletJohn Sat 25-Mar-17 11:29:05

ooops, sorry, the joist is carpentry. the staircase might be if it is the wood that is moving. But otherwise, yes, a small local builder with personal recommendations.

Advertising websites are not personal recommendations. The testimonials may or may not have been written by the builder himself.

BabCNesbitt Sat 25-Mar-17 17:01:29

Thanks! PigletJohn, would you count a site like MyBuilder as an advertising site, or is that one trustworthy?

Jayfee Sat 25-Mar-17 17:11:55

i always use check a trade..but i am careful about the reviews

PigletJohn Sat 25-Mar-17 19:08:37

Tradesmen and builders generally say that if you're any good, you will make a good living by repeat business and personal recommendation. They will tell you that a person who doesn't have a good reputation may need to pay a website (they generally charge a significant amount).

Some well-known websites reject or edit unfavourable customer reviews. I will not name them because their solicitors monitor forums including this one and bombard them with threatening letters if anything unfavourable is said. I have experienced that, so has Mumsnet.

You can do a goggle search on "(advertisingwebsitename) complaints" and perhaps you will find something interesting.

BabCNesbitt Sat 25-Mar-17 21:34:00

That's very interesting, thanks!

PigletJohn Sat 25-Mar-17 22:00:10

Isn't it?

You can also goggle "(AdvertisingWebsiteName) Mumsnet" if you like.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: