Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

AIBU to be shocked that there are NO properties on my local housing list?

(24 Posts)
IDontLikeMyUsername Fri 24-Mar-17 12:18:12

For the last two days and several times this year beforehand there have been no properties AT ALL! Not just ones I'm able to bid on but NONE.
I know social housing is scarce.
I know getting onto the register doesn't mean quick solution to someone's housing need.
But surely this is absolutely shocking?

ImFuckingSpartacus Fri 24-Mar-17 12:19:31

Not really. I'm surprised you're shocked. 5,000 on the list where I am, nothing available.

OdinsLoveChild Fri 24-Mar-17 12:23:51

My town in a very rural area has just had planning approved for thousands of new homes. According to their consultation its predominately for Birmingham overspill which is completely insane as theres around 1000+ on the waiting list already locally and only 125 new houses have been earmarked for local HA clients.

I hope you find something soon. flowers

IDontLikeMyUsername Fri 24-Mar-17 12:42:35

Thank you Odins
IFS so you think that's ok?
Obviously as time goes by I'll become less shocked but possibly more horrified. I swear if I ever win millions I'm starting a housing cooperative or something.

ImFuckingSpartacus Fri 24-Mar-17 13:08:26

Yes, obviously I think it's wonderful. hmm

Bluntness100 Fri 24-Mar-17 13:10:26

There's a big leap to not being surprised to thinking it's ok? Not sure how you made that leap op. 🤔

IDontLikeMyUsername Fri 24-Mar-17 13:12:35

I didn't leap. I wondered if, by her tone IFS had done.

Hellmouth Fri 24-Mar-17 13:12:47

I'm not surprised at all. Social housing has been decimated. Don't you watch the news?

ImFuckingSpartacus Fri 24-Mar-17 13:23:42

What tone? You need to be a bit nicer to people who reply to you.

It's hardly news, is it? Everyone knows there is fuck all out there.

IDontLikeMyUsername Fri 24-Mar-17 13:46:50

Do we basically agree that this situation is really bad but that I shouldn't be surprised? You're probably right but I'll still be fucked off about it. And depressed. And yes, still a bit shocked. No doubt that will dull to acceptance as the weeks, months and years go by.
I had no idea there would be so little housing available. Most people I know are in some form of social housing.

Justanothernameonthepage Fri 24-Mar-17 15:53:30

8000 people on the waiting list near me. I'm more surprised when people get a house.

Justanothernameonthepage Fri 24-Mar-17 15:59:51

Obviously i don't think it's OK (I believe that right to buy should have had a contracted option that the council gets 1st option to buy if it goes on the market at same percentage of reduced rate it was bought at). But the issue has been building up for decades so same as the dismantling of the NHS, I'm unable to be shocked by it.

RiverdaleJughead Fri 24-Mar-17 16:09:45

There are loads of empty houses where people don't want to live and none where they do ... people grow up in the area and then want to stay there but are not adults with families so need their own house so where do you think all these spare houses are coming from?
Where do you live? Is it London?
Is there any where else you would consider moving to?

Tobuyornot99 Fri 24-Mar-17 16:14:32

Just did a search of my LA, out of curiosity. They have 11 properties. Goodness knows how many on the waiting list though

AllTheWittyNamesAreGone Fri 24-Mar-17 16:15:29

10k people on the list here in reading i think.
Crazy

ASDismynormality Fri 24-Mar-17 16:18:50

I'm not surprised. Housing stock has shrunk due to right to buy and life expectancy is longer meaning homes will be occupied for longer. I also am more surprised when people are offered a council house than hearing there are none available.

I hope you find something soon.

IDontLikeMyUsername Fri 24-Mar-17 16:40:23

Thank you to all of you who have replied and thank you to those who have wished me luck getting somewhere.
I have considered applying outside of my town but think you need to prove a connection? That would be tough for me to do too as I have children in local schools and it would be an enormous wrench for them, plus I don't drive so getting about from outlying towns and villages to work or schools could be difficult.
Anyway never mind my situation it's the general shock of realising just how few houses are available, for anyone.

Jellybean85 Fri 24-Mar-17 16:45:11

There are over 14000 on the list where I live, average wait of over 5 years.
So no, not shocked me at all. Obviously doesn't mean I think it's good but it doesn't surprise me sadly

Alfieisnoisy Fri 24-Mar-17 16:58:12

Yes and no to the AIBU.

I know that social housing is very scarce. I am in a HA house and know how lucky I was to get it.

itsacatastrophe Fri 24-Mar-17 17:04:43

In 2014/15 there were 1251 applicants on the housing register. 608 were housed. There are 11 properties available this week.
I guess I live in a good, reasonably stocked council.
Have you been on the waiting list for long?

averythinline Fri 24-Mar-17 18:16:24

wow where are you catastrophe in w london where we are only 6 flats for over 60s this week......can;t even house people out of the borough length of time on list nearly 10 years if you can get on band 3 which is very difficult now - there has been nothing to bid on for weeks

IDontLikeMyUsername Fri 24-Mar-17 18:37:01

I've not been on the list long, no. 6 months, it's nothing. I'm not moaning about my personal situation, I feel lucky to be on the list at all. It's just when days and weeks go by and there's nothing. I thought the website might have a problem at first. Last autumn was better, there was more on the list and there were two that I was eligible to bid on.

itsacatastrophe Fri 24-Mar-17 18:38:32

I'm in Kent. Ashford to be precise. Obviously there will be less people on the waiting list then London as it isn't as densely populated as London. And shock horror they do build new council and housing association homes around here.

MissDuke Sat 25-Mar-17 08:30:24

I have no idea how many are on the list in my area but I know they have built lots of new housing in the last few years in my small town. Five small developments have popped up, all beautiful. All of the towerblocks in the neighbouring towns were knocked down though so I doubt they have managed to come close to replacing all the lost flats from that.

I really don't know though where the money is meant to come from to build the thousands of houses that are needed sad

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now