Talk

Advanced search

How to decorate a TINY bathroom

(17 Posts)
Teecup Fri 24-Mar-17 09:54:13

I'm having an ensuite WC turned into a bathroom. It's in my attic so the room fits into the eaves of the roof: There is just enough room for a toilet, sink, and small bath, with shower over it: I've chosen wall hanging toilet and sink, so the pipe work and cistern are hidden behind a fake wall going into the eaves. Also this means that the floor is a clear space.

How should I decorate it to make it look as big as possible, and to make cleaning as easy a possible?

I guess white throughout is a definite. Also as big a mirror as I can fit in?

Big tiles or small tiles? Shiny or Matt? Tiles throughout or just round the bath and sink? Tiles in the floor or Lino?

Any advice welcome!

beargrass Fri 24-Mar-17 10:01:07

We had a small bathroom in a previous property. I put a mirrored cupboard over the sink and then also bought mirrors to fit either side - the length of the wall. The tiling above and below as normal. Kind of stole the idea from a hotel we stayed in! It did make it look a lot bigger. Also did white tiles on the floor but they showed a lot of mess, so I'm not sure I'd choose those again

beargrass Fri 24-Mar-17 10:04:44

PS I would be careful about white tiles on the walls. We had them before we did that bathroom and it didn't look good. Always looked grubby. We wen for boring beige-y ones when we re-did it and they looked just fine!

abbsisspartacus Fri 24-Mar-17 10:06:53

Tiles everywhere!

PhoenixJasmine Fri 24-Mar-17 10:09:55

I used some light-reflecting paint in a very slightly pinkish white and it's come out really well.

For the bit you do tile, if you can leave a bit untiled at the top of the wall, I think that can make ceiling height look more generous. Plus saves money grin.

Justanothernameonthepage Fri 24-Mar-17 10:12:27

Tiles all way to ceiling to draw eye up, darker floor. Curtain rail as high as possible. Small inbuilt lights. Slimline shelves/units. We went with concrete style tiles round the bath/shower and light walls (not white) on other walls. Makes it feel a lot less enclosed than previously.

namechangedtoday15 Fri 24-Mar-17 10:51:51

We have a small ensuite. Underfloor heating if you can so you don't need a radiator (we have electric - although people say its expensive to run, its such a small area it's fine). I would say keep to one or two colours. An interior design friend said if you have the same tiles on walls and floor it all appears kind of seamless so your brain doesn't register how small floor area / walls etc are. We have very pale grey tiles - the larger the better (think ours are 80cm by 30cm on the walls, then 45 x 45 on floor, all same design). White walls and then one entire wall (from where tiles end above sink) is mirrored. If you go to a glass manufacturer, it is really cheap (ours is about 2 sqm and it was less than £100).

And most of all decluttered - no bottles etc on display, no bits and bobs hanging around.

RTKangaMummy Fri 24-Mar-17 11:02:51

Get at least one light tunnel to give extra daylight if you can't fit a window or just want to have more daylight smilesmile

Boulshired Fri 24-Mar-17 11:12:32

Both my bathrooms are tiled throughout, only paint is ceiling and wood work/door. I have large tiles to reduce grout, and used tiles that looked good with coloured grout to avoid white grout. Also as the light is always on for the fan to work when in use I went for an oversized light fitting so it is very bright. Had a previous false wall, plumber installed an inspection door that matched colour of tiles, did the same for the shower pipes.

QueQueQue Fri 24-Mar-17 12:23:25

Our bathroom is small, we went with, as a pp said, same large tiles on floor and walls and a full sized mirror above the bath to open the room up.
Oh and also croydex dispenser for shower gel/shampoo so no bottles

kel1493 Fri 24-Mar-17 12:28:16

We have 2 bathrooms in our house. 1 is very large with a showe cubicle, sink and toilet. Next to that is a very small bathroom with just a bath, sink and toilet.
The small bathroom is fully tiled with white tiles. They stay very clean. I give them a clean when I do the rest of the bathroom.
As for the floor, we have carpet in every room but the kitchen- even in both bathrooms. It was like that when we moved in, and we don't own the house so can't really change it. But that id want to as I like it. No cold floor to walk on.

JT05 Fri 24-Mar-17 12:44:27

We also have a tiny en suite in the eves with no window, instead of a bath we put a large shower cubicle tiled with pale blue mosaic. The sort that comes as a large tile. On the walls are white bathroom paint and on the floor is beach wood look laminate. There is a large mirror above the basin. The light is an all areas bathroom light from JL, like a large moon. It had to be fitted on the sloping ceiling. Clear glass floating shelves hold the necessary.

coxsorangepippin Fri 24-Mar-17 12:56:14

Definitely mirrors. I would go for a fairly deep colour paint (if walls are not all tiled) or a deep colour shower curtain if using tiles on all walls. It's always going to be small but you can make it look bold and cosy, not bleak.

NotCitrus Fri 24-Mar-17 13:38:51

Glass shower screen. Well-chosen toilet, basin, bath - a P-shaped short bath gives more space especially for standing in the shower end. The basin can overhang the edge of a bath if need be. Check space for knees when sitting on the toilet!

Cupboards round cistern and possibly under basin can provide storage space if need be.

VickieCherry Mon 27-Mar-17 16:49:20

Please don't tile all the way up the wall. We've just bought a house with a tiny, fully tiled bathroom, and it feels like a small, beige, tiled tomb. I can't wait to rip the tiles out and have wall space.

Teecup Tue 28-Mar-17 10:02:13

Thanks everyone! Some really good ideas there, and lots of things that I hadn't really thought about.

Here's a photo of where I am with the bathroom so far (if you're interested?!)

RTKangaMummy Tue 28-Mar-17 16:52:34

I really like the pattern on your window smilesmile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now