Talk

Advanced search

Hit me with your high(ish) end at low(ish) prices suppliers!

(8 Posts)
Tatlerer Thu 23-Mar-17 13:46:51

About to start a major house refurb, renovation and build! We need to replace everything, and I mean everything!
Which gems of websites, shops and suppliers are in your little black book? We want a high end look and feel but don't want to pay through the nose where we can avoid it. If it helps with a clothing analogy, I'm thinking Whistles but ideally at sale prices rather than Chloe or Primark grin
Particularly interested in carpets, fabric for curtains and blinds, bathroom tiles, bathroom suites (love Heritage bathrooms but haven't checked prices yet).
Thanks in advance!

Doublechocolatetiffin Thu 23-Mar-17 14:05:27

Johnson tiles are fantastic, they supply a lot of the big tile shops so the pricing is much better. You need a trades person to buy from them I think, but I'm sure you could find a way to sort that.

We also used this company to buy all of our internal limestone flooring, marble effect porcelain and outdoor limestone too. www.naturalstonetilesltd.co.uk it's very good value for money.

We used Burlington bathroom fittings, but bought via a trade supplier which got us a 35% discount.

My main advice is always ask for a discount when buying large quantities and always buy via a trade supplier if you can.

namechangedtoday15 Thu 23-Mar-17 14:09:29

Having just done a large extension, I know where you are coming from.

For bathrooms :
Tiles - Johnsons tiles (direct from factory)
Bathroom suites - visit local showrooms and see what you like. Then google it. Its easy to trawl the web now to find something and then look for the cheapest prices.
Fabric - are you on your local FB selling sites? We have a show home company who sell their no-longer-required furnishings, including curtains etc on our local FB selling site. Have bought curtains and had them made into blinds by local seamstress. I think Ebay is good too for end of rolls of fabric which are usually enough for blinds.
Carpets - Again the internet is your friend, found the carpet I wanted at a local carpet supplier, found it on one of the massive carpet megastore websites for half price. Got builder to recommend a carpet fitter and save literally thousands.

namechangedtoday15 Thu 23-Mar-17 14:10:37

Ooh, x post about Johnsons. You don't need to be trade - we went to the factory and purchased there and then.

wowfudge Thu 23-Mar-17 14:47:15

Mind you - I recently bought some Johnson's tiles from Walls and Floors as they were cheaper than buying direct. They had a 10% off promo on at the time.

My other top tip is to narrow down what you want and then shop around for the specific item and that includes looking an ebay. I've saved £20 on lights recently, over £50 on cupboard handles, £25 on a Franke tap, £30 on a mid range glass extractor. Oh and don't buy a kitchen from Magnet. Go to DIY Kitchens instead! A good fitter will have contacts who can supply things like composite worktops for a lot less than most retailers.

Tatlerer Thu 23-Mar-17 21:04:22

Thanks all! Great suggestions. Have looked online at Johnsons and they look like they have some great tiles. I couldn't find the factory outlet address but googled the number and Stoke is under an hour away from us so that works.
Yes have found DIY kitchens and their inframe shaker looks and seems to have the same spec as the one costing ££££ from a local supplier so that's going on the list!
It's bloody overwhelming isn't it!! So much choice and particularly when it comes to online purchases the propensity to cock it up!

Tatlerer Thu 23-Mar-17 21:05:56

wowfudge maybe I could pay you to track everything all down for me grin

wowfudge Thu 23-Mar-17 22:09:51

Well Tatlerer - for a fee I'd consider it wink. Clean up and sell the stuff you are removing too. Apart from anything else, if you eBay/Facebook/Gumtree it for cash on collection, someone picks it up, you get some money for it and it's one less trip to the tip. We've sold French doors, a Belfast sink and light fittings.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now