Talk

Advanced search

5 week old Bosch washing machine broken

(10 Posts)
AnnaLP Thu 23-Mar-17 09:37:26

This thread is really about my consumer rights.
5 weeks ago I bought a Bosch washing machine from John Lewis who delivered and installed it. It gradually started getting noisier and noisier and after 3 weeks it was clear there was something wrong but I couldn't call John Lewis until 36 days after I bought it.
They sent a Bosch engineer out to investigate and offered to repair it - since it's only 5 weeks old (and was clearly broken after 3 weeks) I want a replacement (of the same machine).
According to which.co.uk my consumer rights are against the retailer but John Lewis are saying it is up to Bosch to agree the replace it or not.
Does anyone know exactly what my rights are?

LeBoob Thu 23-Mar-17 10:01:33

Your item is not fit for purpose ' your contract is between yourself and the retailer. If John Lewis want to claim back under warranty then they can after they have replaced your item. Did you pay by credit card or cash? If CC & you don't get anywhere with JL threaten section 75. But the long and short is the goods are not fit for purpose & you are being treated unfairly!

CateGory8 Thu 23-Mar-17 10:13:18

If I remember correctly, if you do except a repair and your machine continues to be problematic, you then have zero rights in which to demand a replacement. I agree that you should stand your ground and except nothing but a replacement.

wowfudge Thu 23-Mar-17 10:26:13

Have you been dealing with JL's call centre or have you been into a store? My experience of their call centre is that the staff are not adequately trained and plain wrong in law much of the time. Go into a store and speak to an experienced member of staff. If you can't do that, ask for a supervisor or manager and state your rights quoting the legislation.

LIZS Thu 23-Mar-17 10:29:12

Definitely jl responsibility to resolve.

AnnaLP Thu 23-Mar-17 10:37:08

I've been talking to the call centre (to a manager, after much insistence) and he told me I was wrong that the retailer is responsible under the Consumer Rights Act.
I did refuse to have it repaired on Tuesday when the engineer came.

I can go into my local John Lewis store where I bought it but I bought it on a Debit Card so not sure I'm protected via that, but good idea wowfudge to go into store - I'll do that. At the moment they have told me to call back after 11.30am when Bosch will be less busy and they can get through to them to talk about Bosch replacing it!

I bought from John Lewis because I trusted them - hmmm

PecanPiePoppet Thu 23-Mar-17 10:41:00

The manager of the call centre is wrong, the agreement was made between you and the retailer. Easy to look it up and quote it to them, sounds like they're fobbing you off. If you don't get anywhere resort to Twitter and you'll get an instant response.

AnnaLP Thu 23-Mar-17 11:03:21

Thanks for confirming that - I was doubting myself.

If I have no luck with the call centre later today I will go into store first and then resort to Twitter.

But this has changed my opinion of John Lewis - as DH always says - things do go wrong but it's how Customer Services handle it that matters. Sadly JL customer service is not what I thought it would be...

UrethaFranklin Thu 23-Mar-17 11:11:35

As it was over 30 days before you contacted JL, then you have lost the right to reject the goods and JL can offer to repair rather than replace: www.which.co.uk/consumer-rights/advice/how-to-get-a-faulty-product-replaced-or-repaired

Your contract is with JL though rather than Bosch so don't let them fob you off.

AnnaLP Thu 23-Mar-17 12:36:12

After my 4th call to John Lewis customer services/tech support they have finally agreed to replace the washing machine - not without more attempts to fob me off first. Thanks everyone for info and, more importantly, support.
Anyone with similar situation don't be fobbed off!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now