Talk

Advanced search

Question about use of a new party wall

(7 Posts)
Chartingbamboozled Thu 23-Mar-17 09:15:40

Morning. We are building up the parapet on on our roof as part of our new loft and I know that if our neighbour then chooses to build a loft (which they are thinking of doing but not in the near future) he will build off this new wall. I know that as result he will half to pay half of the cost of building the wall but it would be the cost of how much it would be to build it at the time he's doing his loft, so say in 5 years time.

Do you know who organises that - can we sort it out amongst ourselves if the time comes or do we need to pay a surveyor to sort it?

RaisinsAndApple Thu 23-Mar-17 12:24:45

Do they really need to pay you? Surely your wall will be governed by the party wall act and all they will need to do is give you the correct notice? Why would they need to pay for the wall just because you chose to build it some time earlier? You'd presumably be building your loft regardless? Sorry if I've missed something in the legislation, but I don't think it says any payment should be made to build against a party wall.

Allthebestnamesareused Thu 23-Mar-17 12:35:42

They will not have to pay you. At the time they extend into their loft they will serve party wall notices etc and be liable should they cause any damage to existing structures.

I assume you have served notices and arranged an agreement re your oft conversion assuming you are terraced ir in s semi!

Boulshired Thu 23-Mar-17 12:50:34

So this is a new wall not aoriginal party wall. I know that in a previous house I owned I could have received half of the current value to build against my extension of a new wall. I didn't but the wall then became a party instead of previously my extension wall.

Chartingbamboozled Fri 24-Mar-17 16:00:40

Thanks for your replies guys. We have served the party wall notices so that's all sorted. I've taken advise on it now and it's called defrayed costs. Part of the build requires us to build up the parapet on the roof in brick ( we are a terrace ) and apparently if our adjoining neighbours then build off it and create a new enclosed space they pay for half the cost of that wall. My surveyor has told me that when they serve a party wall agreement on us if they do want to build, it all gets sorted out then which I'm relieved about as the thought of paying him yet more money was very disheartening! If it was stud work that wouldn't be the case. Since posting, my neighbour the other side of me has announced they are doing a side return so we'll have the same thing again as they are going to pull down our adjoining brick garden wall and re build it. The build hasn't even started and I'm already exhausted by the why's and wherefores!

RaisinsAndApple Fri 24-Mar-17 21:06:05

Thanks - I've learned something new! Good luck with your project smile

Chartingbamboozled Sat 25-Mar-17 10:59:21

Thank you Raisins

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now