We rely on advertising to keep the lights on.

Please consider adding us to your whitelist.

loader

Talk

Advanced search

View versus no view dilemma

(9 Posts)
Pinkpillow Wed 22-Mar-17 07:07:39

I live in a lovely street, but in a house that's far too big. One dc is away to uni and the other will be going in 2 years.
Over the last couple of years I (and dh) have wanted to get on with the idea of 'right-sizing' .... ideally to a house in the same area but just more manageable on many fronts - bills, cleaning, rates etc.
I've seen a house that needs totally re-done and re-configured. It is in a very desirable street, but has no view (nor do I at present) and has big trees to the front which will cast a lot of shade when the leaves appear.
I'm so torn - it will be a fab property when renovated, but I might always be annoyed by the outlook/shade.
Just looking for a few thoughts as I have myself tormented!

JT05 Wed 22-Mar-17 07:36:25

Don't buy a house with loads of trees, unless they're hundreds of meters away! We've just escaped ( right sized ) from nearly 30 years in a house surrounded by trees. The house was not dark and the trees were beautiful, but the clearing leaves was a huge issue for months when they fell. The garden was difficult to plant because of roots, shade and damp.
Also, although they were not affecting the house, they became a bit of an issue when we sold.

SafeToCross Wed 22-Mar-17 07:50:24

Agree with JT. We waited 7 years for our neighbour to reduce trees to appropriate size. The garden is always covered in leaves and things blow into the house continually. The trees look nice now though and provide nice cover. Mil has been nearly talked into paying £1000 for cutting down a tall but weedy tree in her garden by her neighbour who wanted it cut down. I agree with your point that even if it doesn't put you off, it will put others off.

Pinkpillow Wed 22-Mar-17 08:12:02

I hadn't even thought of the leaves ...
The cons list is growing, but it's such a lovely street, and very few come up for sale. Those that do are usually already renovated and I'm very keen to do my own project. Besides, as it needs so much work, the price is still relatively affordable...

CountMagnus Wed 22-Mar-17 08:21:51

Do other houses in the street have trees to the front? If yes, do they sell well when renovated?

It would be worth checking what kind of tree they are and estimating the height, as that will tell you how likely it would be that they could affect the foundations (spends on soil type too - sandy / loamy and well draining, or clayey and poor draining).

Seeline Wed 22-Mar-17 08:25:47

What type of trees are they?
Are they outside your property?
Are they roadside trees or in someone elses's garden?

heffalumpshavewrinkles Wed 22-Mar-17 08:58:17

What kind of view do you mean? Will you get it within your budget in your area? What compromises would you have to make to get a view?

Big trees at the front may affect your insurance

Indaba Mon 27-Mar-17 00:09:03

Used to live in expensive place in west London. Every house sold witnin a week except for one house on market for 1 year cos of trees making it too dark. Make sure u view it when trees full of leaves.

Miniwookie Mon 27-Mar-17 10:44:39

Could some of the trees be removed? Would they be on your land? Do they have TPOs? Is it a conservation area? Definitely view when the trees are in leaf and be aware that they can cause structural probe if they are close to the house esp if it is clay soil.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now