Talk

Advanced search

Simple question about negotiating rental

(7 Posts)
hesterton Tue 21-Mar-17 22:16:50

I'd really appreciate a bit of advice.

When you rent through an agent, is it done to negotiate on the price as people do with purchases?

If so, what is generally seen as a reasonable amount to be offered against an asking price of, for example, £795 pcm?

Thanks in advance.

JoJoSM2 Tue 21-Mar-17 22:42:24

Do you think the price is too high? Offer what you consider fair/affordable.

lokisglowstickofdestiny1 Tue 21-Mar-17 22:44:24

I've rented in the past and negotiated, especially if property has been empty for a bit or the price looks expensive for the area.

namechangedtoday15 Tue 21-Mar-17 23:29:07

Can you offer anything in return? We wanted a 12 month contract and obviously that was to the landlord's advantage too (Jr knew he'd have no empty periods / good tenants for 12 months) and it was Christmas (so not many people looking to move) so we offered £1000 per month on a property advertised at £1150. They said no originally so I called their bluff and said we'd look for something else. They phoned back 10 mins later to accept our offer!

bojorojo Tue 21-Mar-17 23:39:39

It depends if there is a shortage of properties. As mine are in good condition and in nice roads I don't negotiate because I don't need to. If I grossly overpriced (why would I?) then I may need to negotiate. Condition and location do affect the rental and so does shortages of properties. I ask the going rate for the area. Not a greedy amount. If the properties available for rent outstrips demand then do negotiate. You may get a reduction if you are a good tenant. If a property is in tip top condition it should be fairly priced in the first place. A quick check on rental ads should give you a steer.

hesterton Wed 22-Mar-17 05:12:41

Thanks - will see what the market is like.

tribpot Wed 22-Mar-17 06:27:47

Using an agent is not done expressly to allow for rent negotiation - it's mainly done because there's a lot of faff involved in renting the property, including doing the financial checks on the prospective tenants, advertising the property, sorting out the viewings, the deposit, etc, and for most landlords it's too much hassle to be worth doing themselves.

You can offer a lower rent if you want to (better if it's in return for something attractive to the landlord, like a 12 month tenancy as namechange suggests). The agent works for the landlord, and they will advise the LL whether or not the offer is reasonable. As they will already have advised the LL what the rent should be, however, there may be little desire to negotiate unless the property has been empty for a while.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now