Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

How much do packers charge?

(28 Posts)
Lottapianos Tue 21-Mar-17 21:05:26

Just a rough estimate..... 2 bed flat, London. Would want packing service only, would rather do unpacking myself. Thanks

JillyTheDependableBoot Tue 21-Mar-17 21:11:42

We paid about £900 for packing and short move from one 2-bed terracted house to another, with a couple of trips to storage unit, last year. TOTALLY worth it, I will never pack myself again.

ExplodedCloud Wed 22-Mar-17 00:09:49

£400 for a 4 bed plus loft. Worth every penny.

Spickle Wed 22-Mar-17 07:32:57

Moving costs around £1000 for 4 bed house, no packing.
Moving costs around £1200 for 4 bed house, with packing.

Absolutely worth every penny. I will never do the packing myself again.

SatsumasAndFrazzles Wed 22-Mar-17 07:35:05

Ours was £1000 for packing, moving, and storage for two weeks. TOTALLY worth it.

Goosegettingfat Wed 22-Mar-17 07:55:40

I found there was about £200-£300 difference between packing and no packing. (3 bed house). I would say if you have kids, it's totally worth it.

Lottapianos Wed 22-Mar-17 08:13:41

That all sounds great folks, thanks. Less than i was expecting actually. We moved house 3 years ago and did all the packing ourselves - it was pure hell and took forever. Considering moving later this year and keen to avoid a repeat!

How long did your team of packers take to get everything ready to go?

CountMagnus Wed 22-Mar-17 08:17:48

Depends how many packers they send, but a 2 bed flat would be easily be done in a morning. 3 guys did our 5 bed in less than a day.

wannabestressfree Wed 22-Mar-17 08:26:51

I have just been quoted £600 for full pack up and removal service for a large detached four bed. I can't lift anything so it's looking like a must....

CountMagnus Wed 22-Mar-17 09:08:41

£600 for full pack and move for a 4 bed is a pretty good price!

wannabestressfree Wed 22-Mar-17 09:31:38

Yes I know we aren't in London but south east. It's the beds etc I would struggle with. Am just waiting for date though it's a new build and still lagging? So not ready yet.

GreyStars Wed 22-Mar-17 09:32:58

This is a lot less than I had anticipated!

No way will be doing mine now when I move!!

Thanks OP smile

NotCitrus Wed 22-Mar-17 10:15:12

Best money I have ever spent. Warning - they are like locusts - every thing gets packed unless you put a note saying not to (eg your vital box with the kettle etc to go in your car, any appliances being left), and everything is moved as is, so the more packing and labelling you do in advance, the better. And decluttering. No matter how much you do, you will unpack and go wtf did we bring this for?

donajimena Wed 22-Mar-17 10:18:08

notcitrus I have just moved and I decluttered at the outgoing house like a ninja. I still threw out/recycled an equal amount at this end! confused

CMOTDibbler Wed 22-Mar-17 10:27:55

We've been packed twice - the second time (for various reasons) I packed nothing but our overnight stuff. 3 bed house, they couldn't park the lorry outside due to location so shuttled everything by van. Took 5 hours to go from normal house to all in the lorry, and I just followed behind them cleaning. I took 2 days off to move us 150 miles - ds was in nursery on the last day in old house, started new one the day after we'd moved in!

I would never pack again - last time I was able to get them to put boxes of non essentials in the integrated garage and sorted from there - the first people I met in the new area were from Freecycle!

LumpishAndIllogical Wed 22-Mar-17 10:32:32

Last move we were in London and our packing was awful, they chucked kids pens in a box with packaging, lids came off and mixed with kids clothes! Emptied draws into boxes with no packaging around, chucked expensive speakers in a box with no bubble wrap (literally just in a box rattling around)... I could go on. They took ages too for a small 3 bed massionette. So read reviews carefully, go for a medium size firm not a large countrywide one, check to see if they use well paid permanent staff etc. I tried to go with one with good reviews and large but turned out they were a franchise so could be anyone turning up! Packing costs 200-500 with removals in my experience. Worth it if you find a good firm!

sm40 Wed 22-Mar-17 10:52:04

Where are you roughly in London. Have a good south east company. Did 2 moves for us and recommended loads to friends. You can pack up your 'personal' items. But literally ninja pack everything else not labelled. For A couple if hundred extra. Just make sure you stick up on tea!!! The kettle is the last item packed!

SatsumasAndFrazzles Wed 22-Mar-17 11:37:04

Yes to making sure you organise and declutter before they come. They will pack EVERYTHING. A friend had some used teabags packed, and I found a little saucer neatly wrapped up with some used matches on it.

HatHen Wed 22-Mar-17 17:41:49

Hi, I'm also moving in a few months time, and would love recommendations on which company to use? We are in East London and in a 2 bed.

@sm40 May I have the name of the company you used please? We are in East London

@Lumpish I am so sorry that sounds like a nightmare. May I ask which company it was?

fluffiphlox Wed 22-Mar-17 17:44:18

This will be the best money you will spend during your house move. Get the best you can afford.

Lottapianos Wed 22-Mar-17 18:36:04

Totally and completely convinced now. Thanks folks!

sm40 Wed 22-Mar-17 20:32:04

http://www.robertsanddennys.co.uk

Used them twice. They like tea! 4 other friends used them too. Only thing that broke was an egg cup when I unpacked it (it was well wrapped!).

HatHen Wed 22-Mar-17 21:13:09

Thanks @sm40

May I ask how much yours cost?

sm40 Wed 22-Mar-17 21:41:31

I've just checked. £1500 for large 3 bed 3 years ago (if my spreadsheet is right). Lots of furniture to take down and put up. Full packing. 1 day packing, one day moving. 3 full time men on job and then helpers when needed. All furniture reassembled.

From what remember had a quote bit less (50-100) but went with who we knew.

Also remember to check insurance etc as they store the stuff overnight at their depot and it's 80% of your house!!

Now will be told I was ripped off!! It seemed worth it!

HatHen Wed 22-Mar-17 23:00:41

@sm40 thanks for sharing that! smile Personal recommendations are worth the extra money.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now