Talk

Advanced search

East Leeds / South West York Villages

(14 Posts)
user1490111397 Tue 21-Mar-17 16:02:41

Hi, wondering if anyone can help.

We are relocating to Yorkshire and need some help with suggestions for areas to live.

My Husband needs to get to HD8 in Huddersfield for work daily and doesnt want to commute more than an hour in each direction. Unfortunately we dont know what rush hour traffic is like in these areas so not entirely sure what would take an hour during the middle of the day but much longer in the morning and after work.

We also want to be able to get to Leeds and York quite easily, being on a trainline being preferable but not a dealbreaker. Husband wants a decent pub and at least a shop close by. I would prefer somewhere with a little more going on that a pub and a shop, maybe a village hall with childrens classes etc.

We have a 2.5 year old son, so need good schools and to live in an area with a community so we can build a new life and meet people.

We have a decent budget up to £700k (prefer to spend around £650k) and looking for a 4 bedroom house with a good garden and been looking at the below areas. So if anyone has any comments about any of these areas or suggestions for places we are not aware of that would be greatly appreciated.

Aberford
Church Fenton
Towton
Unleskelf
Barkston Ash
South Milford
Garforth
North Milford

Thank you

FunSpunge Tue 21-Mar-17 16:10:21

M62 is a nightmare sad more so heading into Leeds from hudds but if there is a problem one way it usually affects the other way too.

What about Holmfirth? (Last of the summer wine country!)

I know not leeds/york but maybe the shorter commute would be better and then just take a little longer to get to Leeds/york when needed?

I think there is a train station in Holmfirth, if there isn't there is definitely one in Honley which is the next village over

user1490111397 Tue 21-Mar-17 16:28:14

Hi - My Husband has been renting a Leeds city centre apartment temporarily wheile he's had to be up there working and has said the commute to Huddersfield using the M1 is very easy and he goes against the traffic each way. He gets off at Wakefield and drives to Shepley, so no need for the M62 Takes him 45 minutes. He'd like a similar commute but doesnt mind it being an hour.

We prefer to live near Leeds / York than Huddersfield for lifestyle although we know Holmfirth / Honely / Farnley Tyas etc are nice.

cathyandclare Tue 21-Mar-17 17:04:25

Aberford is the prettiest
<shallow>

whatsthecomingoverthehill Tue 21-Mar-17 17:19:18

Is there a particular need to be near York? It's just it's quite a way over and going from Aberford, Garforth etc isn't the sort of commute I'd want every day if I could help it.

user1490111397 Wed 22-Mar-17 10:37:04

We like York and Leeds and being able to travel easily to both for showing, restaurants, etc would be nice. We are also finding that when east of Leeds, the closer to York you go the nicer the properties and areas.

My husband would be going to Shepley in Huddersfield for work, so Garfosth and Aberford, with their easy access to M1, is ideal !

whatsthecomingoverthehill Wed 22-Mar-17 11:22:49

OK, well Aberford is a pretty village and will probably have the sort of house you are after. The only thing I don't like about it is that it is very close to the A1 and I'm not sure what the noise is like.

Garforth is OK, but I wouldn't say is particularly pretty, and I'm not sure it would have the sort of property you like. There would be a lot more going on for your son. The secondary school there is supposed to be very good.

The villages going further towards York have lovely properties. I'd just worry about being a bit isolated there and there might not be a huge amount going on (not based on experience btw, just my impression!)

Another to throw into the hat is Thorner. Would be a bit longer on the commute but it's a lovely (posh) village. Main issue is the secondary schools it's in catchment for aren't great (but most kids there will be going private anyway).

Or Collingham? Again a bit further out but a bit bigger, close to Wetherby which is a nice market town and doubt it would take any longer than Ulleskelf to commute from. Not too far from Harrogate either. I realise you'll be missing out on being close to the train with these two.

cathyandclare Wed 22-Mar-17 13:22:11

Barwick has a good school, not far from the A1 but no noise. Close to Garforth for trains

PonderLand Wed 22-Mar-17 15:41:44

Mirfield? Lovely little village with lots of walks near by, canals etc. Also 20 minute train to Leeds or Huddersfield and close to the motorway. I rented a house there last year and want to move back!

PonderLand Wed 22-Mar-17 15:45:42

Oops, just realised you want a different part of Yorkshire, sorry OP! I did a quick right move search and found this
Highfields, Jackroyd Lane, Upper Hopton, WF14 8HU
http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-61349342.html

Upper Hopton is my dreaaam location, jealous of your budget! Can get loads for that money round here.

user1490111397 Thu 23-Mar-17 09:44:56

This was the perfect house for us ! Unfortunately its sold now !

www.dacres.co.uk/buying/properties/details/4-bedroom-property-for-sale-in-Off-Main-Street-LS24-dacrps-CSC160940

whatsthecomingoverthehill Thu 23-Mar-17 10:54:26

Urghh I don't know what you see in it ;)

If you're happy with those villages (Towton, Ulleskelf, Church Fenton etc) I'd just keep an eye out on the market and hope that something else comes up that you like. I think they are all nice enough villages and it's more the right house being available. Church Fenton I think will have the most going on, and it's right on the train line, just depends if you want to be able to walk to get to places.

cathyandclare Thu 23-Mar-17 21:25:30

That is a lovely house ( friends went to see it too) and beautifully presented but pretty small, there are lots that come up like that in the area, honestly!
< Old gimmer, that obsessively watches property!>

user1490111397 Fri 24-Mar-17 12:43:49

Hi cathyandclare, thats good to know, would you be able to post them when you see them come up? Bit cheeky i know.

Our London townhouse went on the market today, the move is now real and happening !

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now