Talk

Advanced search

Help - Carpet Replacement

(2 Posts)
Jane6753 Tue 21-Mar-17 12:43:11

Hi all,
Would really appreciate any advice....

I have just found out I'm pregnant and as our tenancy was up we have decided to move to a bigger property.

The landlord has asked us to replace the lounge carpet before we leave as I dropped my iron on it and there is a burn mark. I accept this is my fault and told the landlord to send me the details of the carpet.

Turns out the carpet will cost £600 to replace. It's only a tiny room and our insurance will only pay out £300.

My question is should we be liable for the full cost of a new carpet? We have been in the property for 3.5 years and the carpet was down before then so it wasn't new. My friend suggested that we would only be liable for the life left in the carpet.
I don't want to be unreasonable towards the landlord but at the same time I don't want to pay out an huge amount for them to gain a brand new carpet.

wowfudge Tue 21-Mar-17 13:55:18

First things first, is your deposit properly protected? Have a read of the relevant deposit protection scheme's information on this. If the carpet was five years old when you moved in, your landlord cannot expect betterment i.e. a new carpet, only a contribution to its repair less reasonable wear and tear. He may have to settle for a patch repair instead.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now