Buying in Telford HELP pls

(13 Posts)
Tashy1983 Tue 21-Mar-17 01:32:12

Hi I am a newbie to mumsnet so be gentle with me please bear
Me and my DH are thinking of buying a property in Telford, we are currently renting and this will be our first purchase. We have found a house on Shepherds Lane, Red lake, Telford but as we don't know the area weren't sure, anyone know if this is a nice area of Telford to live? Our preferred location would be a bit more rural, Albrighton being the number 1 but there aren't any houses large enough on the market atm (have 3 boys under the age of 12 so need some space and a decent garden) Any advice would be appreciated, go for the detached house in red lake telford? Or wait for a better location?
Thanks x

ZeldaWasMyGransName Wed 22-Mar-17 23:42:44

I used to live in Red Lake 35 years ago. The Red Lake end of Ketley is fairly nice, although they've built a lot more house there recently, so not sure if that's changed things. Albrighton is far more villagey, and has more of a "middle" with local shops but not loads, whereas Red Lake you'd be going over to the bigger centres of Oakengates / Telford Town Centre more likely. Hope thats a bit helpful...

CMamaof4 Thu 23-Mar-17 22:09:42

I'm looking to buy in Telford too! Are you close by? We are in the south east currently. We are going up there to have a look in may, My husbands already been up for a brief visit,
I think I may know the house you are on about (I am always on right move looking!)
Have you already been to Telford to have a look around?

Tashy1983 Thu 23-Mar-17 22:50:50

I am quite close window live near Wolverhampton atm, just on the outskirts. We have been into Telford shopping a few times and since they've built the new Southwater area there is a new cinema and lots of places to eat, so that part of it I knew about and was happy with. But actually living there is a different kettle of fish and I don't want to be stuck in the 'rougher' parts (if you know what I mean). I've heard that Brookside and Woodside, some areas of Dawley are areas to avoid CMamaof4 so I wouldn't bother entertaining any houses that come up there.

Nice to know red lake Ketley was/is considered a nice place, don't think the new developments have changed things that much ZeldaWasMyGransName from what I could tell they are off in their own little community but still in the area of Red lake. I think I may go knocking on a few doors down the street and politely ask people what it's like living there (get a feel of the neighbours!)
House hunting us so stressful! Ha!

CMamaof4 Thu 23-Mar-17 23:01:57

Yes I have been doing lots of research too and heard about those parts of Telford you listed as not being the places to look at, Telford isn't too far away from you then!
It will take me about 4 and a half hours to visit so quite a way if I want to view houses! Are you looking to relocate soon?
Do you have family there?
We don't, Looking to make the big move with our family of four dc!

Tashy1983 Thu 23-Mar-17 23:29:54

Oh no way so that is a big move from all the way over there! We have family that live in Wolverhampton but our boys go to School in Shifnal so thought Telford was a good place to buy to be closer to the School and the prices seem a bit cheaper than in Shifnal itself (you can get more house for the same price) but even though we don't live that far now, we had no idea of specific areas of Telford, and have been googling like mad trying to get a 'feel' of which areas are best.
We currently rent a 2 bed and have 3 boys so need to move to a bigger house ASAP by summer this year we hope.
How come you're moving so far away from where you are now? New job? You'll have to get loads of viewings lined up over a couple of days, if you stay over, and try and do it all in one go then! shock

CMamaof4 Fri 24-Mar-17 09:13:28

Yes that's why we are moving house prices are ridiculous at the moment we are currently squeezed into a 3 bed and can't afford to upgrade to a four bed around here. Plus there seems so much to do around that sort of area, I would like to get the process started in may and hopefully move by the end of summer (I don't know how lucky I will be to get it done by then)
I'm a sahm my husband works around the country so works not an issue.
Yes I was thinking of getting lots of viewings lined up when for when we go, I saw some of the secondarys are inadequate, Do u know much about the secondary schools?

Tashy1983 Fri 24-Mar-17 10:07:32

Yes there is certainly a lot to do since they opened the new Southwater area which has loads of nice restaurants, there was already a huge outdoor play area for the kids, a bowling alley, Ice skating rink, indoor play area all in the centre of Telford. There's a wonderland and high ropes course next to the park (extra charge for those) so the kids will love it.

Secondary Schools...only ones I know of (and have looked around) Madeley Academy which has been taken under the wing of Thomas Telford School (which is selective and outstanding) and as such Madeley is now considered to be a good School. Holy Trinity in Priorslee, which has a lot of big detached houses in and is considered to be a lovely place in Telford, they built Priorslee before they 'had' to include affordable housing in the new developments therefore you don't get the 'riff raff' wink causing trouble.

The other is Idsall School in Shifnal which is another good Secondary where my son goes, he's in year 7atm, and we've been pleased with it so far although it is early days we have high hopes for it halo

Hope that helps and good luck with your search if you need anymore help just ask smile x

CMamaof4 Fri 24-Mar-17 10:20:59

Great thanks so much for all the information!, I didn't know all of that. Is holy trinity only a faith school, Can u only get in if you are religious?

Tashy1983 Fri 24-Mar-17 11:15:31

You're welcome! When we went to look around Holy trinity last year (it was all new and shiny!) the staff informed us that children are welcome from all faiths and backgrounds so you don't need to be religious, we only didn't choose that school because Idsall was closer to us and therefore was easier for my son to get to on the bus everyday. I've found a link which may be useful for you should you have any questions about admissions
holytrinity.academy/admissions/

Good luck with your search smile

Racmactac Fri 24-Mar-17 11:23:54

I don't think I'd want to be in Kelley area, I think you should spend a good few days looking round the areas.

Shifnal is nice area and school had good rep, perhaps consider some of the areas outside Telford so you can enjoy the nice bits but be slightly away from some of the estates.

Much wenlock, broseley, Ironbridge, shifnal, are all nice if you can afford it. School in much wenlock is very good.

If you can get kids into Thomas Telford the. Excellent reputation

CMamaof4 Fri 24-Mar-17 11:53:22

Thanks Tashy! Hope your search goes well too!

Tashy1983 Fri 24-Mar-17 12:35:40

Thanks! We had been looking at Shifnal but you don't get much for your money. Much Wenlock and Ironbridge are a bit too far away commuting to school wise. I think since doing more research I've found Priorslee is a nice area? And is on the outskirts of Telford

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now