Advanced search

Return of depsoit to tenant (also in legal)

(8 Posts)
birdladyfromhomealone Mon 20-Mar-17 22:05:03

Does any one have the answer please.
The tenant has caused a number of issues in the house and items broken or missing.
LL has itemised these and put a cost of replacement or repair.
Tenant wants receipts.
Is this normal?
Surely if tenant doesnt agree it goes to DPS and receipts are shown to them.
Or can tenant demand to see the receipts before deciding to accept or go to the DPS?

Handsupbabyhandsup Mon 20-Mar-17 22:13:31

I'm a landlord but not in the uk.

It's sounds to me like it's likely to go further so you may as well provide receipts or quotes for the items needed. By not doing that here it may show that you haven't tried to solve it yourselves and this may work against you. . So I'd give them to them however I wouldn't be shopping around for the cheapest quote!

birdladyfromhomealone Mon 20-Mar-17 22:33:54

Thank you, The tenant has been obstructive and has refused to give a forwarding address.
He will not proceed with acceptance or refusal of return of the deposit unless we give him receipts.

MoreProseccoNow Tue 21-Mar-17 09:22:19

I'd email the tenant a copy of the receipts, rather than giving originals.

If they are not happy with that, then it will go to dispute, with the remainder of the non-disputed deposit going back to the tenant in the meantime. That process can take months & is (IME) heavily weighted against the LL. You will have to demonstrate the condition of the disputed items via date-stamped photos embedded in an inventory at check-in out & prove that they have been damaged this way.

specialsubject Tue 21-Mar-17 09:26:44

The deposit scheme will need receipts anyway, and be aware that any work you do is not chargeable. It is expected that your time is factored into the rent you charge. Even if you have to spend two weeks cleaning filth.

I concur - do not send tenant the originals.

Handsupbabyhandsup Tue 21-Mar-17 09:37:28

No never send originals!

All you can do is follow the process. Just make sure you are covering all your bases. As you may not win on all points make sure you include all issues.

It's hard but it's seen as a business not your house so you have to seperate yourself from it a bit. My husband is very literal I find it's good to talk him about it even though I know a lot more about tenancy laws. Do you have someone else like that? Feel free to pm me with your issues if you want a sounding board but I'm not in the uk so you will have to check that my info is accurate

MoreProseccoNow Tue 21-Mar-17 09:39:03

Have a look at your deposit scheme's website. It will have sections on this, and the disputes process.

wowfudge Tue 21-Mar-17 10:01:23

The LL has read up on what the relevant deposit scheme considers reasonable deductions I hope? They can't replace a damaged carpet and charge the tenant without deducting an allowance for reasonable wear and tear, for example or it is classed as betterment.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: