Talk

Advanced search

Creaking floorboards

(15 Posts)
nell15 Mon 20-Mar-17 19:35:12

We've got creaking floorboards in the house we've moved into recently. It upstairs and on the stairs. What can we do to make them less creaky?

LuisCarol Mon 20-Mar-17 19:42:00

If there are loose boards, you could try screwing them down. Otherwise, cleaning between old boards often helps (literally sticking a piece of metal like a screw driver between them and scraping the dirt out).

PigletJohn Mon 20-Mar-17 22:14:01

it's not chipboard, is it?

nell15 Mon 20-Mar-17 23:00:22

No but I'll check

ChippyDucks Mon 20-Mar-17 23:01:41

Screw them down and sprinkle talc inbetween the boards. It works a treat.

Villagernumber9 Mon 20-Mar-17 23:57:57

Yes, screw them down but, only at the edges where the nail holes are.
Pipes and cables may be running down the middle so be very careful.
As for the stairs, you can re-enforce them with home made wooden wedges underneath.

PigletJohn Tue 21-Mar-17 10:29:47

There's an old saying:

The (wo)man who has never put a nail through a pipe is the (wo)man who has never nailed down a floorboard.

For maximum safety, take up at least some, and paint the outline of the hidden pipes on the floorboards.

Also cables of course, which in any case should pass through drilled holes in the centre of the joist, never in notches.

johnd2 Tue 21-Mar-17 12:06:54

I think the main problem with that is the floorboard that's missing a nail is missing it because of the pipe underneath! And that's the one people usually want to pop back in.

Knittedfrog Tue 21-Mar-17 12:18:47

Sorry to hijack but mine are squeaky chipboard, pigletjohn. What do I do?

Villagernumber9 Tue 21-Mar-17 12:25:15

Knitted frog. It's a lot easier with an empty room.
Find out where any pipes are and where the joists run and screw them back down.

Knittedfrog Tue 21-Mar-17 12:57:36

Thanks number9, doesn't sound too bad if all they need is screwing down.

mselastic Tue 21-Mar-17 13:07:01

I need to do this- but I have carpet grippers on. How do I get the grippers up?

WandaBack Tue 21-Mar-17 13:08:12

We have all chipboard floors. There is no sneaking around in this house grin

PigletJohn Tue 21-Mar-17 13:28:41

Chipboard is ideal for use on a bonfire.

Not so suitable for flooring, especially in rooms that contain water or anything heavy.

Villagernumber9 Tue 21-Mar-17 15:15:25

mselastic. If they are nailed down, use a flat screwdriver or wood chisel and a claw hammer.
Tap the chisel between the grip and the floor, close to the nail and ease the grip up. Do this the full length and don't just pull it straight up. Hopefully you will get it off in one piece.
Be careful though. Keep your hands well away from the carpet grip. A thick pair of gardening gloves might reduce injuries.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now