This is my living room...how would you change it?

(44 Posts)
livingroominspiration Mon 20-Mar-17 17:22:30

Have namechanged for this in case anyone in rl recognizes me from the photos of my living room, (if you do, hello smile).

I've never felt entirely happy with my my living room, it was all done in a hurry about 10 years ago. The sofas came from different houses and therefore don't really fit in the room, or indeed in the same room. I don't feel it looks like a 'proper' living room. Or am I meant to call it a lounge? I'm never sure.

My caveat is I don't have loads of money to spend right now, so in the immediate future I can probably only decorate and add some odds and ends. I will be replacing sofas at some point but possibly not for another couple of years.

What would you do to it in my position?

Firstaidnovice Mon 20-Mar-17 17:28:22

My first thoughts would be putting something up on the walls, and getting some colour into the room. Probably a rug on the floor. It's just a bit bland at the moment I would say. That could be achieved with relatively little money with a trip to IKEA/wilkos/Homesense/Matalan etc.

bignamechangeroonie Mon 20-Mar-17 17:31:48

Do you actually need 3 sofas? How many of you are there?

If possible I'd get rid of one and free up some space

MargotLovedTom1 Mon 20-Mar-17 17:34:12

Do you need all that seating or could you get rid of one sofa? It looks like it's full of sofas and nothing else. Also that dark brown wall looks a bit gloomy maybe? If you had more floor space then a rug and coffee table would add interest. Agree with pp re pictures.

Faez Mon 20-Mar-17 17:34:31

Could you not remove the sofa in front of the doors? Does seem a bit cramped.

MargotLovedTom1 Mon 20-Mar-17 17:34:52

Hadn't refreshed so missed the post saying the same re sofas!

usefultoken Mon 20-Mar-17 17:34:56

I think I'd get rid of a sofa, I like the curtains etc, maybe a couple of nice pics

EssentialHummus Mon 20-Mar-17 17:35:25

Get rid of a sofa. Add a bright rug and maybe a light-coloured throw on the remaining dark sofa.

FrancisCrawford Mon 20-Mar-17 17:35:45

Yes, I'd get rid of the big brown sofa.
You could then add a coffee table or a footstool.

How about a rug for the floor, some roman blinds at the windows and cushions that complement those colours?

Procrastinationcity Mon 20-Mar-17 17:38:14

I think you need to get rid of one of the sofas too.
I think you just need some different coloured throws and cushions to add a bit more colour.
How about a large mirror on one of the walls to reflect the light and break up the wall space a bit?
Failing that, you could always add some fairy lights, sticks and pebbly bits in true mn style. grin

Factorysettings Mon 20-Mar-17 17:38:39

I'd ditch the sofa by the wall and put the L -shaped sofa there. I'd leave the sofa by the window. I'd put a rug and coffee table in the middle to make your log burner more of a focal point in the room.

I might change the window dressing, depending on the budget.

Whathaveilost Mon 20-Mar-17 17:38:50

I personally feel that there is way too much going on.
Too many settees, too much fabric on the windows!
Get rid of at least one of the settees. I would get rid of the one where you can put your feet up, its taking up too much space. I think I would put one of your other settees in it's place then you have a clear run and it wouldn't look so cluttered.
I would have a neutral carpet put down. It doesn't have to be expensive but a plain mid quality carpet would make it a bit more homely.
I would get rid of the nets. If you want privacy maybe vertical blinds could be put up if you want to keep the curtains but it wouldn't make the room look as fussy.

Bluntness100 Mon 20-Mar-17 17:43:52

I think that's n awful lot of sofas too. Is there a lot of you?

If not I'd get rid of one also. Get a nice rug and a coffee table.

You could also go to someplace like dfs and get interest free credit for new sofas, pay it off over four years and the cost per month would be minimal. If you don't have any other debt and can afford the monthly payments it would be fine.

namechangingagainagain Mon 20-Mar-17 17:44:01

Its a bit brown for me.

If I'm looking for inspiration I'd head over to Pinterest and have a look..... Search for brown sofa or couch and see what pops up.

I'd probably go for a nice mid blue or something on the walls...... But I am going through a bit of a blue/navy phase at the moment!

namechangingagainagain Mon 20-Mar-17 17:48:51

I love your log burner and floor BTW and think your massive sofa looks far too comfy to get rid of!

skippy67 Mon 20-Mar-17 17:50:51

Lose a sofa, and the throws.

Bluntness100 Mon 20-Mar-17 17:52:16

I also think the brown sofa looks fine, it's the other two that aren't so great. Sorry, 😔

FreedomMummy Mon 20-Mar-17 17:56:56

I would paint your feature wall a lighter colour, add a rug and remove one of the sofas. Maybe add a coffee table depending on side tables etc. The windows do seem to have a lot of material but you may need them for privacy??

livingroominspiration Mon 20-Mar-17 18:02:08

It's difficult to get rid of sofas, DP has a chronic back problem so has to have his feet up on the corner sofa. DC then spread out between the two cream sofas. We used to have the smaller cream one in another room but moved it in when we had guests (as there was nowhere for everyone to sit) and then never moved it back out.

Previously the corner sofa was on the other wall, basically all the furniture was pushed back against the walls. But then there was just a lot of space in the middle and you couldn't get out the French doors!

I do need nets at the window as otherwise my neighbours children constantly stare in (which gets rather annoying).

I'm not a fan of brown really. Originally the whole thing was cream (throws on sofas and cushions, I didn't have the corner sofa then) but it was so bland I ended up with brown by default...

The walls are plasterboard so I worry about putting up pictures, although I know it can be done.

One thing I really don't want to do is replace the floor, though I have thought a rug would be nice.

namechangingagainagain Mon 20-Mar-17 18:05:24

You can put up pictures using stick in Velcro fixings( I think wilkos/ any diy places stock them). Something on walls you love would help a lot I think

CPtart Mon 20-Mar-17 18:06:11

It's very dark, very brown, and crying out for some natural sunlight. Could you take the nets down completely, it would make a world of difference. I would also lose a sofa and repaint the walls a lighter colour. Co-ordinate a rug, cushion covers, lampshades in a brighter colour too.

FlouncingInAWinterWonderland Mon 20-Mar-17 18:24:50

Is it specifically that very large brown sofa that your DH needs or could he be supported well, better even, on something like a stressless recliner with footstool?

If you're prepared to consider second hand then you could probably sell the big sofa and get a chair for similar money.

The chair could sit centrally between the two lighter sofas.

Have you seen the ladder style thin shelves that are available across the price ranges at present?

A couple of these against the wall could be a place for pictures and the odd other item or maybe even you could consider an open backed dresser.

PollyBanana Mon 20-Mar-17 18:31:45

The 2 cream sofas have mismatching throws on them. If they really need throws, have matching ones and maybe have cushions on big brown sofa to match. It needs some colour other than cream and dark brown.
Bright teal really lifts chocolate brown. And maybe a teal rug on floor, the boards are lovely, so don't cover with csrpet

NoCapes Mon 20-Mar-17 18:36:57

You can put things on the walls with command strips
I would also add a plant or two, a rug, some nicer cushions and definitely get rid of a sofa, the kids will just have to learn to sit together, or get a small chair or something, there's just way too much furniture

Whathaveilost Mon 20-Mar-17 18:37:10

I understand your need for some privacy with the windows but it is way too cluttered. Would a sheer blind or a night and day blind work?

www.hillarys.co.uk/blinds-range/day-night-blinds/

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now