Talk

Advanced search

Alarm bell ringing

(6 Posts)
MildlyMiserable Mon 20-Mar-17 17:01:19

Literally - house alarm not going off but the external sounder is bleeping like mad - can't find anyway to turn it off. Called the engineer he said he'd get here when he could - as if he's going to do it today, in the rain - it must be driving my neighbours nuts - I apologise to everyone living near me that doesn't have double glazing (or maybe I'm the only one). If this has happened to anyone else it there's any advice to solve the problem I'd appreciate it 😖📢😳

JoJoSM2 Mon 20-Mar-17 17:10:59

I think my Dh went up a ladder and took the thing apart until it stopped...

MildlyMiserable Mon 20-Mar-17 17:22:51

Thank you - I'll be waiting for the engineer - rather he go up the ladder than me - I'll just have to stay in and avoid the neighbours until it's done then apologies loads!

Chiltern Mon 20-Mar-17 17:38:41

Have you had a powercut? Ours did this when we had a powercut, the battery backup indoors had failed and the alarm went off as it thought it was compromised. I bought and replaced a new battery from Maplin.

PigletJohn Mon 20-Mar-17 17:41:21

it might be that it has shifted in strong winds and the tamper alarm is on.

Alarms are almost always set to sound for only 20 minutes unless they are reactivated.

If yours goes on longer, and the control panel won't stop it, you can turn off the electrical circuit that supplies it, or take out the fuse.

They do have a standby battery to give protection during a power cut, but it will eventually run down, especially if it is sounding.

MildlyMiserable Mon 20-Mar-17 18:15:52

PigletJohn you could be right - the alarm inside is all good, setting normally etc. it was unusually windy here yesterday (to the point that it snapped my rotary washing line), will definitely have to wait for the engineer. I've had the internal and external back up batteries replaced last year, also it's a different sound to when the alarm goes off and nothing is showing on the internal panel, this may be why. Thank you all. Sleeping under the pillow for me tonight. Thankfully the neighbours do all have double glazing so it probably doesn't sound as bad to them as it does to me!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now