Talk

Advanced search

Frustration - valuations 25% apart.....

(16 Posts)
katymac Mon 20-Mar-17 13:03:28

I have booked a third obviously!!

But 25% is loads apart, I honestly thought they would be closer together

ItsOooohSoQuiet Mon 20-Mar-17 13:05:54

We had similar. One agent valued the house significantly lower than the other. But we knew roughly what it should be anyway so went with the higher value as it was pretty much what we expected.

katymac Mon 20-Mar-17 13:15:17

It's such a big difference

Did you getthe higher amount?

JoJoSM2 Mon 20-Mar-17 13:20:36

We're they valued by chartered surveyors or are you just talking about some EAs coming round? Probably the latter - they aren't trained and they are sales people who want to be able to make a profit out of you.Some will give you a ridiculous price to win the business just to tell you a few weeks down the line that you need to lower the price. The only exception would be if the property is highly unusual and difficult to value as there no comparables.

RaisinsAndApple Mon 20-Mar-17 13:22:08

How much apart are they? Are we talking tens or hundreds of thousands difference?

When I had my place valued last year I got 5 agents round and the top and bottom valuations were 100k different. I think pretty much dead in the middle was correct, given the local market - but it is mad that they can differ so wildly.

katymac Mon 20-Mar-17 13:38:58

It is unusual, I ran a nursery from home - so 2 bed, 100 ft garden, 6 parking spaces & 42ft conservatory!!

Estate agents

£45K apart

CountMagnus Mon 20-Mar-17 15:13:23

I was wondering how you could entertain very small children in a 42 ft conservatory and then realised it wasn't that sort of nursery.

JoJoSM2 Mon 20-Mar-17 15:16:56

That is very unusual, indeed. Have you got the time to put in on for a higher price and see what happens?

katymac Mon 20-Mar-17 15:52:52

Yes it was that sort - 12 under 5s

I guess we have loads of time - I'm just impatient....dH is more chilled

JoJoSM2 Mon 20-Mar-17 16:10:16

Well, patience might pay tens of thousands. I'd probably try the higher asking price for a while... Also coming up to summer, the conservatory and garden might be particular asserts that will persuade buyers to for out extra.

katymac Thu 23-Mar-17 13:30:19

Third is within spitting distance of the first

How confusing!

katymac Mon 24-Apr-17 19:24:31

Had an offer of 97% of the highest price

<gulp>

Badgertastic Mon 24-Apr-17 20:41:03

Awesome news! Congratulations.

katymac Mon 24-Apr-17 21:52:54

Still a bit shellshocked

Kokusai Tue 25-Apr-17 01:59:14

Wow good news!

Valuation is an art not a science, and when you have an unusual property I would expect the valuation range to be significantly wider than if you have e.g. A nicely done up Victorian terrace in London where 6 nicely done up terraces with identical layout in the same school catchment area sold last year (for example!).

katymac Tue 25-Apr-17 05:53:33

Nothing similar within 20 miles at all

I do worry about the mortgage valuation though

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now