Talk

Advanced search

Does anyone have original floorboards and engineered wood in adjacent rooms?

(4 Posts)
Theknittinggorilla Mon 20-Mar-17 12:53:12

We are planning to knock through our kitchen and dining room. Have lovely original floorboards under the carpets in hall and lounge that long term we want to insulate, sand and finish. Both kitchen and dining room also have original floorboards, but I am nervous about having original floorboards as a kitchen floor. Is it a completely terrible idea? Soon to be three dc so busy messy house.

But if we go for engineered wood or something else in kitchen diner will it look ridiculous if the hall and lounge is original boards? Hall flows into kitchen and dining room.

Don't really want tile or stone floor in whole kitchen diner as costly and seems a shame to cover lovely dining room boards! Have been looking for pictures of kitchen diners where floors are not the same throughout but can't find many that look nice.

Anyone any ideas?

MercyMyJewels Mon 20-Mar-17 13:28:20

I have the original floorboards in the dining area and black slate tiles in the kitchen area, separated by a curved wood divider (joiner put it in) which is stained same colour as floors. The rest of the house has original floors too so the diner area flows to the rest of the house. Looks great.

dynevoran Mon 20-Mar-17 15:11:34

I think you can definitely keep the boards elsewhere and have something a different in the kitchen without ruining the flow. I think better to have a bigger contrast between the materials than trying to make them too similar. You can do some lovely things with transitions between floors. See these examples:

JoJoSM2 Mon 20-Mar-17 15:51:56

I think tiling would look. Even more interesting to have a different type of flooring to demarcate the kitchen. I think engineered wood would look odd next to floorboards, though.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now