Advanced search

What is this tap and how can I fix it?

(12 Posts)
Soon2bC Mon 20-Mar-17 07:36:26

I have these taps in my bathroom which I will be replacing this year. However one has started to drop. I decided to take it apart and see if I can fix it but I can't work out how to dismantle it.
Has anyone got these? Do you know where I can find instructions?
Shall I give up and call a plumber?wink

Should I leave it dripping until I can afford the new sink and vanity this year?

Lweji Mon 20-Mar-17 07:41:45

Go to a website such as Homebase, pick the closest looking gaps, Google how to fix them.
I expect a plumber will be more expensive than new taps.

Soon2bC Mon 20-Mar-17 09:51:41

I am struggling to find the tap similar to what we have, they all seem to be lift to turn on, i just cant work out how to get the handle off

PigletJohn Mon 20-Mar-17 10:47:18

your taps look like they have a ceramic cartridge inside, which is replaceable. Cartridges are made in a variety of shapes and sizes, and with varying numbers of splines.

If yours is by one of the big makers, replacements will be available.

There might be a tiny grubscrew in the top part of the tap, perhaps at the back where it is difficult to see. There is a faint chance that the bars sticking out might unscrew.

Taps and wastes are often fitted to basins before they are hung on the wall, so it might be difficult or even impossible to get at the grubscrew.

If you buy Bristan taps next time, they will be pretty easy to service, and spares will be easily available.

this vid shows how to do it with a less novel shape of tap.

And this diagram shows where the grubscrew is, on a comparable tap. You may need an allen key or splined key.

Soon2bC Mon 20-Mar-17 11:08:40

Thank you PigletJohn, I am chomping at the bit to get home and check the back of the tap now!

I was thinking the bar might unscrew but if it does its certainly screwed in well as it doesnt shift.

I am toying with the idea of biting the bullet and getting the new sink and taps I want fitted instead of repairing this but I expect that its going to cost me more than I can currently afford. It seems silly yo replace the whole thing because of a dripping tap but I am trying to think long term and if I have to get a plumber out because I cant do it then it might be worth it in the long run.

If i can get into it and fix it tonight I will go down that route, I would rather do it myself than have a plumber do a little thing like this. I have stopped dripping taps before. I am worried however I will end up struggling to get the right ceramic cartridge I am not sure who the tap supplier was as it was prior to me moving in.

PigletJohn Mon 20-Mar-17 13:32:59

there is a company called Lunns who keep a very wide range of parts. They will need a photo, the dimensions, and the number of splines on the spindle (though they might identify the tap just from the photo if it is a big brand)

If you have to get a plumber in, I would consider fitting new taps. it will cost a bit more, but a good make will last longer and be easy to maintain.

The ones with capstan handles are, I am sure, more dependable than the ones with a quarter-turn lever.

See if you can guess which brand of tap I recommend.

Soon2bC Mon 20-Mar-17 19:35:49

PigletJohn!! The bar comes out!!! It screws off (needed pliers) There is an screw behind it.
Haven't solved the drip yet but worked out how to isolate the water supply and get in. I will be visiting screwfix for parts smile

PigletJohn Mon 20-Mar-17 20:22:52

get a packet of PTFE tape while you're there.

The new cartridge screws into a socket in the base of the tap, you wind the tape round the thread and press it in by running your fingers round (it is incredibly thin) so that when you screw it in, the PTFE will form a barrier between the two parts. It will help prevent leaks as water can't ooze up between them. It also prevents them seizing together with age and corrosion.

the tape is used when you screw one plumbing part into another. It is not used on the threads of a part that you will screw a nut onto, because on those, the thread is not part of the seal. They will be sealed with a rubber ring, or a brass olive, or a flange, and the nut just holds them together.

Soon2bC Tue 21-Mar-17 10:31:29

Wonderful, thank you for your advice! AGAIN! grin

SilverHawk Tue 21-Mar-17 14:09:10

OP it's a Bristan Prism tap. They do take a cartridge and they may be different for hot and cold (but it's so long ago that I'm not sure). DH managed to change the cartridge all by himself pat on back a man who never willing does any DIY.

SilverHawk Tue 21-Mar-17 14:11:24

The cartridges are different but only because of the way the taps turn, ie both levers outwards, if that makes sense.

PigletJohn Tue 21-Mar-17 14:15:37


Bristan have a good Spares section, at very reasonable prices

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: