We rely on advertising to keep the lights on.

Please consider adding us to your whitelist.

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Cheltenham

(9 Posts)
kb1980 Mon 20-Mar-17 06:44:43

Hi

My husband has just been offered a job in Birmingham but we don't really want to live there so wondered about Cheltenham? He would be able to work from home at least one day a week so I think the commute would be ok.

My worry is schools. We are moving from a lovely place in south east London and my eldest goes to a great school. I would love to find another great school but know in year placements are hard. She will be in year 2 when we move and my son will also need a reception place!

Any advise on which catchments I should be trying to get a house in for good schools would be brilliant. I am very worried about the move as I love where we currently live but the job is too good to turn down!

Thanks

Beaniebeemer Mon 20-Mar-17 20:53:32

I am a Cheltonian but I moved out a bit 9 years ago now. Cheltenham is quite pricey but if you are used to London prices probably not so much!

I would suggest looking in and around Worcester. It's a lot cheaper if you go in that direction. There are some nice villages and the commute to Birmingham would be a lot quicker as it is a good 30 minutes further up the M5 than Cheltenham.

If you are looking at Cheltenham the areas for the good schools are Charlton Kings, Leckhampton, Hatherley, Warden Hill, Bishops Cleeve, Gotherington.

kb1980 Tue 21-Mar-17 22:43:36

Thank you so much for replying! Do you have any villages you could recommend as I am struggling. We can go anywhere really and finding t all a bit daunting. Coming from London I need to have things around me like parks, shops etc!

EvilTwins Tue 21-Mar-17 22:49:23

Cheltenham is a lovely place to live and has loads of great primary schools. We moved up from London 13 years ago and our DTDs are very happy at their school. Have a look in the Leckhampton & Hatherley areas if you want to be fairly close to the town centre, The Park if money is not an issue or Charlton Kings if you want to be more villagey but still part of the town.

Amanduh Wed 22-Mar-17 09:11:45

Cheltenham is so lovely, my husband hails from there and we spend a lot of time there. And an absolute bargain compared to London and the South East! All of Cheltenham is full of parks and shops. I second Charlton Kings as the place if you want a villagey feel. You'll love it there and schools are good.

BloodiedButUnbowed Sat 25-Mar-17 08:46:43

I used to live in/near Birmingham but work in Cheltenham, and I found the commute a bit of a strain to be honest. So I did move, and I don't regret it.
Have you considered Solihull? That's where I was, and the shops were great, the schools were great, it's quite leafy and green, but Birmingham city is a very short hop away so easy to get to for nights out etc. A good range of housing for any budget, with some extremely beautiful outlying villages (I remember Knowle and Dorridge were nice!). The other bonus is that it's close to the motorway so easy to jump on and drive quickly to wherever you want to go. Frankly, although I love it here, Solihull town is 'nicer' than Cheltenham IMO with better amenities.

silkysausage Sat 25-Mar-17 08:54:35

I'm from Cheltenham and agree that the commute would be a strain. However I have relatives who live in the kings heath are of Birmingham and im so jealous! They are close to a fantastic park, have easy access to the city and their children have all attended excellent schools. Might be worth a rethink?

MissM Wed 29-Mar-17 18:10:20

Hi there. I got your message and have sent you a reply but not sure you received it?

Bettyandtheboy Wed 29-Mar-17 18:12:44

You could try Leamington Spa or Warwick. The commute to Birmingham is around 40 mins and it's got great train links to Birmingham and London. It's gorgeous here too, a bit pricey but definitely worth it!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now