We rely on advertising to keep the lights on.

Please consider adding us to your whitelist.

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Garage cum room cum garage

(9 Posts)
extend Sun 19-Mar-17 22:30:02

Please excuse the odd thread title! grin

I am considering changing our garage to become a room - but so it still functions as a garage...

Is this possible?

We don't actually want to use it as a garage - I just want extra space - but I'm prepared to accept that most people buying a house require one.

Has anyone else done this?

Then also - how much did it cost roughly please?

It needs new floor, roof, heating, walls, skimming, decorating ...

savagehk Sun 19-Mar-17 22:31:26

What will you do for the garage door? I think that's your biggest barrier here. It's unlikely to be pretty from the inside, and if you want to keep the warmth in, you'll need to make sure it's well insulated and pretty airtight...

cakesandphotos Sun 19-Mar-17 22:32:14

What is the height like? Could you build a mezzanine floor? Before we bought our house we thought we could do that but when we came to view we discovered the spare room was already above the garage. However, my parents' garage has a loft space above it so they could use that but keep the garage. Depends on your space smile

engineersthumb Sun 19-Mar-17 22:48:43

I'm not sure what build regs say about sex roomsgrin
Sorry that title deserved the comment!
Are you going to go ton the lengths of wanting a completion cert?
If so you'll need to add a vapour barrier and insulation assuming it's not already a cavity wall. If this is the case you may be able to put a 2x3 cls frame up over a vapour barrier and board over the inside. I don't know if te building inspector would approve that but may be worth trying. To convert back to a garage you would have to cut out that section of wall.

LeninaCrowne Sun 19-Mar-17 22:58:01

Cars are wider these days, and a lot won't even fit in garages built in the 70s/80s.

Only one of my neighbours uses their garage to keep their car in.

extend Sun 19-Mar-17 23:29:05

grinwink at the sex room!

We aren't permitted to go higher than the garage roof - so sadly no mezzanine allowed... but no issue with width.

I can live with an ugly garage door... we would need some roof lights put in...

Vapour things - right thanks engineer I will google that.

SnowGlobes Mon 20-Mar-17 08:00:21

In our rental the garage has been converted in to a proper room. From the outside it still looks like a garage with a garage door but inside the garage door is concealed by a 'wall' possibly plywood or something. However it's freezing even with the heating on so look at doing proper insulation as I don't know if that's been done here.

madeleinecreek Mon 20-Mar-17 08:07:17

I've seen it suggested that you make a room at the back (properly) and then leave a mini garage at the front for bikes/tools etc.

FreeTibet Mon 20-Mar-17 09:11:09

We've split our garage so we still have a storage place for bikes, water softner etc. The other half is now a utility room. Works well for us and the garage is always lovely and warm so my DH tinkers with his bike in there all year round.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now