Talk

Advanced search

zinc? rubber? lead?.... help!

(6 Posts)
slowandfrumpy Sun 19-Mar-17 19:18:29

Dear All,
I have a ground floor kitchen extension in a georgian house - and the extension goes out into a really lovely garden. at present, i look out of a floor to ceiling window onto garden but as of the build, i'll be looking out over three metres of roof.
what dog ou think I should put there?i'm not doing sedum as i am a low maintenance person and can't manage it. architect has suggested rubber. other choices are zinc or lead. what looks best, what is most affordable and inoffensive.
any advice to offer? please...!

didireallysaythat Sun 19-Mar-17 20:02:33

We did rubber. Our extension is on the back of the house so the only people looking out over the roof are us. And i couldn't justify the massive cost for zinc or copper just because i fancied it. The rubber has a 10 or 25 year warranty too and took a weekend to put up.

PigletJohn Sun 19-Mar-17 22:38:07

unfortunately, lead gets stolen.

After two thefts, my commercial premises now have some kind of rubber sheeting on the small flat part over the reception area. I don't know the trade name

We have still had people climbing up hoping to find lead again.

If I win the lottery and buy a stately home, I will look at the fake lead which is actually formed stainless steel with a lead plating, and expected to have a very long life (lead creeps on sloping roofs)

PigletJohn Sun 19-Mar-17 22:39:39

p.s.

I have had zinc, but it erodes and leaks and does not last as long as lead.

slowandfrumpy Mon 20-Mar-17 22:08:53

Ah. really. people nick lead even off the roof extension at the back of someones house? how the F do they cart it away???? they'd have to go through three gardens to get to my house. and the rear extension roofing can't be seen from the road....

PigletJohn Mon 20-Mar-17 22:11:57

well, if you're sure it won't be stolen, lead is considered a fine quality material.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now