Which service to search for? Need to move kitchen from one room to another.

(10 Posts)
Onecutefox Sun 19-Mar-17 12:00:39

We are buying an appart-t with a kitchen in a children's bedroom so we'd like to move it to the living/dining room area. I would like to find people who could do it but I do not know what to search for. They would need to move kitchen cupboards, oven, electrical cooker, sink, extractor hood. I have found a website called Checktrade by location but I need to input the name of the trade/service. I feel so dumb not to know what to look for. Please, someone help me. Many, many thanks!

JoJoSM2 Sun 19-Mar-17 12:33:46

You will need a plumber, electrician, a decorator, tiler and some general guy for the worktops/units. You'll need a plasterer too for the walls in the old kitchen to turn it into a room. However, first and foremost, you might need a permission from the freeholder to do it.

Wiifitmama Sun 19-Mar-17 15:24:54

You need to think about drainage. There is unlikely to be any from the area you are moving it to. How/where will the drainage run? In apartment blocks, drainage all connects with other flats and therefore there are often restrictions on moving it. And very likely you will need the freeholder's permission.

mando12345 Sun 19-Mar-17 17:07:45

First of all check you don't need permission from the freeholder.
Then I would get a general builder in, he will give you an overall view of drainage, moving services etc.
Do not trust checkatrade, I have left feedback on tradesman I have used on checkatrade ( not found through checkatrade), never have there been any checks that I am a legit customer not their friend, mum etc., leaving a good review to boost their business. Always get a personal recommendation.

Onecutefox Sun 19-Mar-17 18:11:57

Thank you all!
We have a written permission from the Management Company. They don't see the problem with moving the kitchen to its original place as long as we don't do anything structural which we don't need to.
Looks like we would need a bunch of people to do it. It also depends on how much it would cost. We would like to do it before we move in but if it costs too much then we would have to wait a bit.

SnowGlobes Mon 20-Mar-17 13:25:58

If it's already been moved and you are moving it back to its original place then drainage etc shouldn't be an issue. I'd ask ask a couple of builders to give you quotes and take it from there.

Onecutefox Tue 21-Mar-17 22:12:25

Thank you, SnowGlobes. Yes, the only thing which we will need to do is to move the kitchen into its original place. We hope to find good builders but I wonder if they will be able to do everything or do we need to look for an electrician, a plumber, a kitchen fitter? I have heard that some builders, when working in a group, can provide multiple services.

SpringSpringSpring Wed 22-Mar-17 08:14:52

A builder would probably have regular sub-contractors to do it all. We did this but we already knew a good plumber and electrician so used them and employed a joiner to fit the new kitchen (we dismantled the old one ourselves - unless yours is very good quality you might find it doesn't stand up too well to being moved).

SnowGlobes Wed 22-Mar-17 17:11:48

I'd try a general builder (or 3) first as they will often subcontract required services as spring has said but get recommendations from family & friends etc. Alternatively try to see their previous work - not just photos or online,actually view if possible and ask the clients about the builders and subcontractors etc.

Onecutefox Thu 23-Mar-17 19:03:29

Thank you Spring and Snow. I now understand more how it works. Will try to find a builder then. Will ask friends if they could recommend someone.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now