Talk

Advanced search

Conservatory or extension?

(53 Posts)
Dizzywizz Sun 19-Mar-17 07:55:46

So we had someone out to quote for an extension off the lounge yesterday, it will be to create a dining space - we have a decent sized 3 dbl bed bungalow but the lounge is small, dining table in the kitchen makes the kitchen feel small. Extending up not an option, I am disabled.

Anyhow, the upshot was £30k extension but the builder thought a conservatory much better option for us - 10-15k. I am worried about conservatories being too cold in winter too hot in summer? Will be south facing, with radiator, French windows and roof windows, laminate floor pos a rug.

And are conservatories passé? I've never really liked them but the cost saving and how he was saying he has one which is perfect all year round and I have seen some modern designs on Pinterest....any thoughts?

Saltedcaramelbrownie Sun 19-Mar-17 07:59:25

Would definitely do an extension and not a conservatory. As you say, conservatories are often too hot or too cold. An extension will be so much more flexible and useful.

Saltedcaramelbrownie Sun 19-Mar-17 08:00:45

If you like conservatories you could always do a garden room instead with glass walls but a solid roof....

MrsJamin Sun 19-Mar-17 08:01:39

We tore down a sunroom, ie a small conservatory, to out an extension there. It was only a good temperature for two weeks in spring and two weeks in autumn! Extension will be better value.

VeritysWatchTower Sun 19-Mar-17 08:04:03

We had a conservatory in the last house, the sheer amount of windows in it made it very hard to keep warm in winter and cool in summer.

The hardest was keeping it cool. You can spend a fortune keeping it warm as all the lovely heat constantly escapes through the windows but a south facing conservatory would be hard to keep cool.

I know some would argue that we don't get a long summer but even just on days where the sun is out our conservatory was very warm.

RubyRedRuby Sun 19-Mar-17 08:04:56

I don't know anyone who has a conservatory who loves it. I think everyone builds them for the reason you said which is that they are so much cheaper than an extension but they are cheaper for a good reason. A fridge or an oven is how our architect described them. Honestly a proper extension will be far more valuable and useful in the long run.

smilingsarahb Sun 19-Mar-17 08:41:28

Extension.

Temporaryanonymity Sun 19-Mar-17 08:44:14

I had a huge conservatory in my previous house. I would never have one again. During the day it was great but at night it was basically a giant fridge.

Summerof85 Sun 19-Mar-17 08:46:24

We moved into a house with a conservatory, they are a pain. As others have said, too cold in winter, too hot in summer. Saying that, my husband put in a false roof with insulation which has helped but there are too many windows which let the heat out. I would change it to an extension if I could.

MrsEricBana Sun 19-Mar-17 08:47:45

Yes sorry extension without question as it's a proper room, part of the house etc rather than an add on that is hard to temperature control. The only successful conservatory I have seen had solid roof .

JoJoSM2 Sun 19-Mar-17 08:50:14

I like conservatories - but they need to be pretty nice and connected to the main house ( not the cheap PVC with external doors). I agree that an orangery might be a fab option.

Shylo Sun 19-Mar-17 08:56:13

We have a large conservatory that is open to the house and is our main sitting area/play room - we invested in really good blinds that help a lot with the summer sun and durIng the winter we would be fine if my boiler was a bit better but it's overloaded with rads so I use a dyson heater too late in the evening if it's chilly

It's been fine for us and a lot more cost effective

smilingsarahb Sun 19-Mar-17 09:05:19

I meant to add that a relative had a conservatory because it was cheaper. Then paid for it to have a proper roof put on as it got so hot and cold, with the roof it is great, but cost lots so they might as well have got the extension. The conservatory had one solid brick wall anyway so was only glass on two sides which is why it took a roof.

Minniemagoo Sun 19-Mar-17 09:08:45

We have one and its great. The wall is half height, we have blinds on the roof and good rads and its useable 365.
Tbh the cost of the extras would cover the difference for a full roof but we wanted the light so we went with the extras.

Dizzywizz Sun 19-Mar-17 09:18:21

Ok, looks like majority saying extension...not wanted to hear that!!

noeuf Sun 19-Mar-17 09:48:51

So we had the same dilemma and went conservatory so we could also pay the car loan off (boring financial bit). However I hate it. It's not a proper room, cost about £12k incl special blue glass ceiling that doesn't do whatever amazing miracle it's meant to. It goes mouldy round the edges of the floor. It's a junk store and not a proper room. I hate it so much it makes me cry when I go there. What a waste of money.

Dizzywizz Sun 19-Mar-17 09:59:16

Oh dear noeuf, it's really not sounding appealing...

NotCitrus Sun 19-Mar-17 10:07:20

Our kitchen extension looks a bit like a conservatory as there's an 8-foot square pyramid skylight in it plus glass all across the back. Paid for very expensive heatproof glass that keeps heat in in winter and out in summer. Worth every penny. Builders often call such rooms orangeries, "it's like a conservatory only built properly".

NotCitrus Sun 19-Mar-17 10:11:30

Where are you and is the extension easy to access? If it's really a pretty straightforward case of digging foundations, putting an extra lintel in and then building a box, with electrics but no plumbing needed, I would expect it to be cheaper than 30k even in London. Get a few different firms in.

user1482079332 Sun 19-Mar-17 10:21:16

Extention, conservatories are to hot or cold

littlemissM92 Sun 19-Mar-17 10:28:28

Why don't you go half and half as in conservatory but bricked half way up each wall and proper roof but glass all around top half

Dizzywizz Sun 19-Mar-17 10:29:36

Not citrus, we are south east not London. Clay soil which is the problem in needing very deep foundations. 25-30 he said.

user1487671808 Sun 19-Mar-17 10:36:13

We have a conservatory and I would replace it with an extension in a heartbeat if we had the money.

MarvinKMooney Sun 19-Mar-17 10:37:10

We have a south facing conservatory off our kitchen that we inherited from the previous owners. It's a real 'budget' job and very badly built with a polycarbonate roof and skirting stuck on with 'no nails' which is now falling off. Ineffective underfloor heating only - the temperature can go from single figures in winter to nearly 40 degrees on a hot day.

It's awful. It stores our fridge and our bin and that's it. We're planning on tearing it down and replacing it with a brick extension.

If you can afford a very good quality conservatory with proper heating and ventilation then I'm sure your experience will be very different.

Dizzywizz Sun 19-Mar-17 11:22:34

Oh dear. It will be good quality with heating ventilation so maybe it would be ok? Just not sure now

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now