Talk

Advanced search

Put in an offer if I haven't sold yet?

(14 Posts)
MadameJosephine Sat 18-Mar-17 20:53:51

Viewed a lovely period apartment today that is absolutely perfect for me and DD. It's in a lovely building, well maintained, good sized rooms, great area, 5 min walk from her school and best of all it's within my price range. It has only just gone on the market and I was the first to view although she does have another viewing tomorrow. I'm afraid I did not play my cards very close to my chest and it was obvious to her that I loved it but what do I do now in terms of making an offer? My house has been on the market for 3 months but my estate agents were hopeless so I have readvertised with a different agent this week at a slightly lower price so I am hopeful but there are no guarantees that I will be able to sell anytime soon. So do I put in an actual offer now or do I just say I am definitely interested and that I will let them know when my house sells?

wowfudge Sat 18-Mar-17 20:59:57

Say you wish to make an offer, but realise that as you don't yet have a buyer maybe they could register your interest and let you know if they do receive any other offers?

MadameJosephine Sat 18-Mar-17 21:09:28

Thanks wow I think I'll do that. I'd have to get an offer on mine pretty close to my asking price in order to meet their asking price so probably more sensible to wait

JoJoSM2 Sun 19-Mar-17 00:00:35

You me get as well put in an offer for an amount you're likely to afford ( factoring in an achievable price on your property). If they don't accept because you can't proceed yet, then leave the offer on the table and ask to be kept in the loop.

caroldecker Sun 19-Mar-17 00:42:33

Put an offer in - as long as you are honest about your circs, it is up to them to accept or otherwise.

Sunnyshores Sun 19-Mar-17 14:01:56

I dont think its fair to put an offer in when youre not proceedable and dont really know how much you can pay or when you can complete. I also dont want my Estate Agent to think they have a buyer so take their foot off the gas. As a buyer Ive always flat refused to even contemplate such an offer.

meshletterholder Sun 19-Mar-17 17:32:34

you can't actually make an offer right now. as per pp, make an offer, ask for it to be left open and for you to be informed about other offers.

meshletterholder Sun 19-Mar-17 17:32:54

forgot to add, good luck!

Tobuyornot99 Sun 19-Mar-17 17:35:34

I'd be extremely surprised if the EA would accept your offer, in my city the EA would register your interest, but as you are not proceedable wouldn't even acknowledge that you'd made an offer if that makes sense.

eurochick Sun 19-Mar-17 17:39:54

You can make an offer but it might not be accepted (or they might accept it but decline to take the house off the market, which makes it pretty meaningless as another offer might come along).

MadameJosephine Sun 19-Mar-17 18:05:04

Thanks everybody. EA is closed today so I'm going to ring them in the morning to register my interest and to tell them I will certainly be making an offer once my property has sold. Fingers crossed I get a buyer soon before somebody else decides to buy it!

Sunnyshores Sun 19-Mar-17 18:33:54

the other thing I was going to say was dont tell EA what offer you were thinking of, theyll just use it against you to get higher offers from other buyers...."weve already had an offer at asking price, theyre not proceedable but youre still going to have to be pretty close"....

MadameJosephine Sun 19-Mar-17 18:36:15

Great advice sunny thanks. I do think their asking price is fair but don't want to pay over the odds!

yearofthehorse Sun 19-Mar-17 18:39:19

We put in an offer on another house before ours was even on the market. We then used the same EA to sell our house as the one we wanted to buy. This definitely kept the EA interested as they had 2 lots of commission coming their way if things went to plan and they really worked hard to achieve it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now