Talk

Advanced search

When to move onto next project

(8 Posts)
heffalumpshavewrinkles Sat 18-Mar-17 18:14:16

We've just about finished our nearly 5 year renovation of this house and I was looking forward to enjoying it for the next 5 years and then buying our 'forever' home. But I've just apotted a house that could be a perfect home. It nbeeds a double storey extension, redecoration, new windows, layout rework and kitchen moving but I'm smitten sad. Dh also loves it but obviously not keen on moving! Has anyone else been here? What did you do?

LizzieMacQueen Sat 18-Mar-17 18:32:11

Sounds like you might be in love with the process rather than the house. Have you considered a change of career instead?

heffalumpshavewrinkles Sat 18-Mar-17 18:48:27

Ha ha yes absolutely Lizzie but not going to happen sad I have a love hate relationship with renovation but just get so focused by the end result I'm not phased (unfortunately)

Crumbelina Sat 18-Mar-17 19:34:19

Oh God, we did this. Bought a two bedroom terrace in London, spent five years renovating it. Finished it in June 2014 and it went on the market in August 2014. We were trying for children from mid 2013 and knew that we'd outgrow the house within a few years.

We then bought a much bigger project - a 3 bed detached with potential to convert it into a 4 bed with a huge kitchen extension. We're now about 2.5 years into the project, it's around 25% complete, we have DD1 and I'm 3 months pregnant with DC2.

Is it worth it? Right now, NO! I'm not sure what your situation is but it's sooo much harder and slower with a child as I can't help and do all the childcare whilst DH does all the renovation work at weekends.

That said, we are moving on now and will be employing much more professional help for the extension and beyond. Also, it really will be the forever house (20 years plus) as it has so much space to grow and this bloody project has almost broken me so I never want to move again. "Deferred gratification" is my mantra.

I think we'll have a few more really difficult years but then I can be a smug bastard. smile. Also, there's​ no way we could have started this project now (with this level of mortgage) as I'm sure our income wouldn't be high enough (with my part time salary and childcare costs).

I'd probably say through gritted teeth that you should take the plunge (depending on your situation with children and finances). Good luck with whatever you do!

Crumbelina Sat 18-Mar-17 19:37:02

Oh, and I have quite bad morning sickness at the moment so this is probably clouding my judgement a bit. smile

heffalumpshavewrinkles Sat 18-Mar-17 19:45:52

Thank you Crubelina. We have DC 5 and 1. My income will rise significantly next year so should probably wait until then at least. But...

JoJoSM2 Sun 19-Mar-17 00:07:44

We sold our last house having lived in it for barely 2 years (although the renovation took only 4 months). I was keen to move to a forever home and couldn't wait. Just make sure you'd actually settle for the house you've seen and it isn't a case of the gras being always greener.

heffalumpshavewrinkles Sun 19-Mar-17 08:34:17

We had a good long chat last night. We've decided now is not a good time to move and we are looking forward to enjoying our finished home for a bit. There will be other houses! However we are going to keep an eye on it and if it doesn't sell and gets reduced we'll seriously consider it as already a bit of a bargain. It is (set back) on a busy road and there is a new development very close by going up which will put loads off so you never know. We did also talk about whether it could possibly be more difficult to sell in the future though due to these factors and I wouldn't want to risk overdeveloping it because of this...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now