Advanced search

Raising roof height

(7 Posts)
typoqueen Sat 18-Mar-17 17:30:00

my Neighbours are changing the height of their roof, our guttering goes from corner of my house to the end of theirs where the down pipe and soak away is, their builder is claiming that i have to re arrange my guttering and make a soak away and new down pipe my side of the house, also the wall the heavy steels need to rest on are the property of next doors house, but i thought it would be a party wall and they would need to give us written notice and a party wall agreement to sign, these steels went in a few days ago and stick out through and into our loft space this can not be right can it, if anyone can give me any information regarding id be most grateful as do not want to go and complain and cause neighbour troubles if it all above board.

JoJoSM2 Sun 19-Mar-17 00:20:43

It doesn't sound right at all. Not able to give any actual advice but I hope you manage to sort it out.

wowfudge Sun 19-Mar-17 05:19:19

Do you have legal cover on your home insurance? Contact them for advice. How on earth have they accessed your loft space? That does not sound right at all.

Grainfail Sun 19-Mar-17 10:13:32

Just checked with my husband who is an engineer. He said you definitely need a party wall agreement and you could suspend their work immediately until that is in place.
The soakaways are a little different. You could argue that you bought the house with the existing arrangement of gutters so have "access" type rights, but they could also argue that the water that falls in your roof is your responsibility.

spiney Sun 19-Mar-17 10:25:53

Just did my own extension. For work like that a party wall agreement is needed. If they have planning you can not stop it ultimately but you can stop the work until the agreement is in place.

And steels into your loft space????!!!!! Not right at all!

I would be worrying more about that than the guttering! You need to speak to your neighbors pronto. Not the builder who sounds like a right bodge job con artist.

spiney Sun 19-Mar-17 10:30:22

Have you seen any planning permission? As a neighbour you would be sent notifications. We were for next doors extension and our neighbours were sent our plans ( from the council) I think you really should get onto this because it is really intruding on your property i.e. Steels into your loft space!

HiDBandSIL Sun 19-Mar-17 21:35:19

Bloody hell! No not right at all. You need legal advice. I would also start with the home insurance to see if they'll pay. Tell your neighbour to stop work immediately and to remove the steel from your property. They'll have committed criminal damage to your property and trespass regarding the steels. No need for steels to go all the way through usually either so that sounds like a bodge. Tell them you're seeking legal advice. Take advice. Go to a local property solicitor if necessary.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: