Talk

Advanced search

Neighbours going up for sale at the same time

(36 Posts)
Gemmy89 Sat 18-Mar-17 11:23:50

Our next door neighbour has an almost identical house to ours, decor a little different obviously!

And he's just gone up for sale. We were also about to sell. He's gone up at the same price as we were planning to, which is promising, but I'm guessing us both selling at once isn't great?!

Any advice? Would I be better to wait? (I really don't want to.)

Finelinebetweenchaos Sat 18-Mar-17 11:25:51

We had this same thing and - ironically - bought a house where the next door house was also for sale!

It was totally fine, just be prepared to explain why you are selling so they know it's just a coincidence!

Gemmy89 Sat 18-Mar-17 11:31:35

Do you think you both got less for it? Or do you think it made no difference?

Our houses are very similar, but mine is very slightly bigger (like, 50sq ft, hardly anything), but he's split one of the bedrooms into two, so has three bedrooms. And I have two.

The condition of his isn't as good as mine, but I'm worried that it would be hard enough to find one buyer, let alone two! And that - since his is a three bedroom place - I would struggle to compete with it!

Berthatydfil Sat 18-Mar-17 11:33:14

Well you could put a home made for sale sign up and then all their viewings will see it and may come to you. You could afford to sell at a lower price if you save EA costs.

Falafelings Sat 18-Mar-17 11:34:23

Put it on with the same agent

Gemmy89 Sat 18-Mar-17 11:35:23

You know, that's not a bad idea, bertha - I was actually considering an online agent anyway... hmm!

Gemmy89 Sat 18-Mar-17 11:36:00

Falafellings - as then they'd bring viewers to look at both, you mean?

bigredboat Sat 18-Mar-17 11:36:08

If yours is in better condition it might work in your favour, they can view both and if they don't want a 'project' yours will look much nicer in comparison.

I've heard of neighbours using the same estate agent and negotiating a discount too.

Toomanycats99 Sat 18-Mar-17 11:36:13

Our neighbours house was up for sale. Several people offered but obviously only one got accepted. House over the road went up for sale. Think it then got immediately bought by one of the people that lost out on the first one. So I don't think it's necessarily a bad thing.

GrumpyOldBag Sat 18-Mar-17 11:38:26

I think it's a positive not a negative.

SheldonsSpot Sat 18-Mar-17 11:38:28

I was going to suggest the same as Bertha, home made for sale sign, save on agents fees.

If you do that though I'd also try to be constantly "viewing ready" as people may go to view next door, see your homemade sign and knock at yours wanting a look there and then.

kingjoffreyworksintescos Sat 18-Mar-17 11:39:52

Don't worry about it often several houses go up for sale at the same time , I happened when I moved a while ago and didn't effect anyone's sale

TwinklyMusic Sat 18-Mar-17 11:48:56

We put ours on the market and our neighbours did the same a couple of weeks later. Very similar houses in nice area, both in good condition, with slightly different layouts. Same price, different agents. Neither house sold. But that was the market (and possibly not great advice from agents). In a different market, it could have been a great thing, with the second house snapped up after a bidding war for first!

We've both made different plans now (stay and extend vs rent and move anyway) and will both re-market later (but maybe at different times 😄). It's just the way these things happen.

wowfudge Sat 18-Mar-17 11:55:37

When we bought our house next door was also up for sale - they are semis. We didn't view next door as it was out of our price range. For various reasons the house we now own had been on the market for nearly two years and we think we got a bargain.

DevelopingDetritus Sat 18-Mar-17 12:00:24

Well you could put a home made for sale sign up and then all their viewings will see it and may come to you. You could afford to sell at a lower price if you save EA costs. Good thinking. Save thousands.

Domino45 Sat 18-Mar-17 12:18:45

We recently moved 6 months ago to a popular area and the house we lost out on at sealed bids is straight across the road from ours. We loved the road and kept hoping another house would come up. I wouldn't worry!

Finelinebetweenchaos Sat 18-Mar-17 13:43:39

I don't think it made much difference in terms of the house we purchased. In terms of our sale it influenced us because next door had been on the market for 3 months with no offers so we accepted a lower offer than we might have done otherwise. It wasn't a problem in terms of our buyers and in fact someone who lost out on our flat ended up making an offer on theirs.

Gemmy89 Sun 19-Mar-17 09:06:15

Thanks all! Do you think people will prefer how as it's 3 beds even though it isn't bigger?

FormerlyFrikadela01 Sun 19-Mar-17 09:16:43

We put our house up for sale 2 weeks ago and next door went up last week. Same agent, same price. It's a terrace so they're much of the same muchness. I was pissed off when i saw the sign next door but fingers crossed it won't have a negative impact on us.

Ratbagcatbag Sun 19-Mar-17 09:50:59

I don't think you can know that Gemmy, it just depends on what people want.
I was looking for three bed ideally but only really needed two for me and DD, in the end I went for two bed with two big bedrooms rather than a three bed with less room space.
But if I would have needed three beds then I wouldn't have looked at yours, as it wouldn't have come up in my search criteria.
Good luck with the sale. smile

dotdotdotmustdash Sun 19-Mar-17 09:55:16

We like a particular cul-de-sac in a particular street and lost out on the first house we offered on. There was another but the layout didn't suit us (conservatory off a bedroom). After looking around we went back to the 2nd house with a view to offering less and tweaking the layout, but as we pulled up we saw a 3rd house had gone on the market that day. We knocked on the door, had a look and made them an offer immediately. Ten years later and we're still happy with our choice. It's all about location, location, location.

KingJoffreysRestingCuntface Sun 19-Mar-17 09:56:49

I can't see why it would be a problem.

Although other neighbours will think you guys have had a row.

Gemmy89 Sun 19-Mar-17 10:04:05

They don't have a for sale sign up, so definitely loving the idea of putting one up on mine to drag people over to both!

I'm friendly with most my neighbours, they know I'd planned to move for some time. They were surprised when he suddenly went up for sale! But - though a nice guy - he keeps himself to himself, which is fair enough.

Gosh it's all so stressful! Fingers crossed we both get a good sale and our neighbours get some new lovely folk living by them!

JoJoSM2 Sun 19-Mar-17 12:39:27

I wouldn't worry about the neighbour selling. With the number of bedrooms, I don't worry either - presumably instead of a double bedroom like you, he has two boxrooms. Might suit some buyers but others will prefer your house. (For example, we have got rid of 2 bedrooms in our house as we don't need as many but like dressing rooms, en suites etc). Also, your houses sound quite small so presumably the 50sq ft extra 5-8% more of house + it's in better nick - I'd put on it for a little more.

Goldnick Sun 19-Mar-17 12:52:44

I've experienced this twice.

1. My parents' and neighbours' were on with same agent at same time and 15% difference in price. Parents queried with agents, who advised neighbours' house was in much worse condition... parents' sold very quickly and neighbours' took years. I.e. It made no difference, different types of buyers.

2. Mine went on shortly after 2 neighbours. Mine sold on first day of viewing to first time buyer who had already had offer accepted on 3 doors down, paying more for mine... he same to look as already liked the style of house. So was good for me, not so good for neighbour (but he sold soon after for more than originally but still less than mine).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now