Talk

Advanced search

Laminate worktops- how waterproof?

(4 Posts)
kmini Sat 18-Mar-17 07:32:46

We are considering wood or wood effect worktops for our utility room. As it is utility would prefer to keep cost low and therefore thinking laminate wood worktops.

Theoretically will have less wear than a kitchen, but we will probably have a dog in time and as it is a muddy farm, daily washing in utility sink.

My MIL has laminiate on her utility wokbenches and i Noticed that the wood was splitting around the Belfast sink. They are about 4 years old and the dogs are washed daily in the sink.

What are others experiences? Are there differences in brands?

Thanks!

NotMeNoNo Sat 18-Mar-17 08:33:17

Laminate is a high density chipboard with a thin, hard, plastic layer bonded. As long as the plastic layer is intact you are fine.

I suspect the problem will be the Belfast sink. They are normally mounted under the cut edge of the worktop. A laminate would have edging glued on which is vulnerable in a wet area. I'd get a steel sink, TBH I find a drainer useful in utility room for hand washing clothes, football boots etc.

PigletJohn Sat 18-Mar-17 11:41:17

if you will be washing muddy animals in the sink, look at a catering one. As well as being deeper and wider, they are available with a moulded stainless drainer each side. They are sized not to need a worktop underneath.

The metal used is thicker and more hardwearing, though it seems to be less silvery.

They usually come with their own "legs" and stainless shelf under

examples

kmini Sat 18-Mar-17 18:05:26

Thanks for all your comments

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now