Beckenham/Shortlands/Sanderstead?

(42 Posts)
mazzamoo123 Sat 18-Mar-17 06:59:59

Hi Everyone, I'm looking to move from west Norwood and am trying to choose the best area to look! So far we've come up with Beckenham, Shortlands and Sanderstead. If anyone has any advice that would be great... here are a few things we're looking for:

1) we both teach in Dulwich so the commute at 7.30am(ish) can't be too long (40 mins max)
2) we'd like a fairly leafy/quiet street but that's accessible to one or two nice pubs, cafes and shops
3) family friendly (we have two small boys)
4) a good investment - this isn't our primary reason for moving but it would definitely be a bonus
5) primary school catchment area is not essential as our boys will probably go to school in Dulwich but in terms of investment we're probably better living in a fairly good catchment area for re-sale

Our budget is £650000 and we'd like a 3 or 4 bedroom house.

Thank you!!

Believeitornot Sat 18-Mar-17 07:40:52

Beckenham and Shortlands are on the same train line as west dulwich so easy to commute.

Both have nice leafy streets but for £650, not sure you'd get a house in beckenham. It is lovely though and there are pubs but most people drive to a decent one (there were plans to open one near penge). Some parts of the beckenham/penge borders are lovely eg near Kent house station (same line to west dulwich).

PettsWoodParadise Sat 18-Mar-17 07:54:43

Can you come a bit further out? Petts Wood is leafy and you'd get what you want for your money. Lovely family area, shops, cafes, restaurants, parks and pubs. I see Dulwich boys on the station platform in the morning as well as those heading in the other direction to Sevenoaks school and the state grammar of St Olaves.

mazzamoo123 Sat 18-Mar-17 08:24:10

I think Petts wood is just a bit far... it sounds lovely though and just what we're looking for!! It's only that my littlest DS will only be 11 months in sept when I go back to work so I don't want to be too far away from him in case he needs me.

As for the Penge borders, I just saw a house on Kenilworth road that needs doing up that could be nice but no idea about the street. We've been a bit burnt here in WN - we bought a lovely house but on a dodgy street and we don't want to make that mistake again! We're aiming for the worst (affordable) house on a lovely street instead!! You can change a house but you can't change a street!

salsaysthis Sat 18-Mar-17 08:34:21

Hi mazz. I was driving from Kent back to my home in Putney late last night and the sat nav took me through Croydon. I was looking around one particular area as I was driving thinking 'this is such a pretty area' that when I drove passed the train station I took note of it and it was Sanderstead! So based on that, I'd look there.

Where do you teach in Dulwich? My DSS is at Alleyns grin

TheBeanpole Sat 18-Mar-17 08:50:13

Near Penge east? This is overpriced I think but a nice Street- 3 good pubs, near CP park and very close to the station: www.foxtons.co.uk/property-for-sale-in-penge/chpk1651353

flumpybear Sat 18-Mar-17 08:55:54

How about Hayes?
I also think Petts wood is nice, and chistlehurst. Keston is lovely also and great walks!!

mazzamoo123 Sat 18-Mar-17 09:26:00

TheBeanpole that house looks lovely! Sadly over our budget but good to know it's a nice road - I'll keep an eye out!

salsaysthis I've never even been to sanderstead but read lots of nice things so added it to our list - good to hear you think it looks pretty too! Possibly too far from Dulwich though? Just wondered if it might be a good investment though what with the Westfield coming to Croydon...?? How old are your DDS??!

flumpybear we have thought about Hayes (and West Wickham) but wondered whether they might be too far for our commute and too far to be a good investment but I know nothing so any advice much appreciated!

mazzamoo123 Sat 18-Mar-17 09:27:15

Sorry salsaysthis, just seen they're DSS!

salsaysthis Sat 18-Mar-17 12:45:42

Year 7 smile

mazzamoo123 Sat 18-Mar-17 13:48:49

Aaaah well I won't know him salsaysthis as I've been on mat leave this year but I'll be back in sept! It's a great school, he's a lucky boy!

TheShrew Sat 18-Mar-17 14:01:39

I live in Sanderstead and I love it! 650k would be about right for a three/four bed house too. The only downside is the lack of pubs (Quaker land or summink) but there are some lovely ones in warlingham and good restaurants in south Croydon - both about 10 mins away on the bus. And if you have a car, fantastic countryside and even nicer country pubs 10/15 mins drive.

TheBeanpole Sat 18-Mar-17 16:02:59

I think that one has over optimistic Foxtons pricing though! 650k would be about right round there.

skippy67 Sun 19-Mar-17 08:09:45

I live in Hayes. You can get to West Dulwich in under half an hour from Bromley South. Great schools, green spaces, village feel. I like it here!

chalkyc2 Sun 19-Mar-17 08:12:55

Sanderstead is nice but I'd say not a great commune to Dulwich every day and quite expensive! West Wickham?
A word of warning - I moved out from East Dulwich to Orpington and I regret leaving south east London every day....

LBOCS2 Sun 19-Mar-17 15:40:41

Sanderstead is nice and has some fab primaries but there's no way you'll get to Dulwich in 40 mins, certainly not during rush hour. I live in Selsdon, just down the road, and it takes about 45-50 minutes to get to Lordship Lane in 'normal' London traffic. The Sanderstead line doesn't go close to Dulwich either so you'd be doing into London Bridge then back out again (or East Croydon - Victoria - West Dulwich).

CauliflowerSqueeze Sun 19-Mar-17 15:47:12

Beckenham is gorgeous. You'll get a nice house for that much and links to london etc are superb.

mazzamoo123 Sun 19-Mar-17 17:11:02

This is such helpful advice, thank you. I've just seen a property that needs modernising on Cromwell road in beckenham - what's that like?? I've been told to avoid the Elmer's End area but I've no idea why! It seems the nicest areas are out of our budget...

CauliflowerSqueeze Sun 19-Mar-17 17:37:56

Elmers End isn't great I agree. Cromwell Road is fine - near the beacon hospital. All the streets in that area are nice. I'd check that you aren't too near Churchfields road as the local dump is there and it might smell.
From Cromwell you can walk to Clock house station.
I'd also check out houses on The Drive and Church Road. Beckenham has a brilliant selection of restaurants and bars and other shops, a great leisure centre and links.

CauliflowerSqueeze Sun 19-Mar-17 17:42:30

Church Avenue I mean.

MrsPatterson2014 Sun 19-Mar-17 17:46:10

I live near Kenilworth Road, it's a nice friendly road, they have street parties. Really nice sense of community around that area.

Bubbinsmakesthree Sun 19-Mar-17 17:50:29

£650k should get you a 3 bed in Beckenham, and there are lots with potential for adding a loft conversion to get a 4 bed if you're likely to have money to invest over time.

Cromwell Rd is probably in catchment for Balgowan primary which is one of the more sought after.

Beckenham feels distinctly less "London" than areas a bit further in - for good and bad (depending on your perspective) - having lived in London for a decade before moving to Beckenham I've found it a mild culture shock! But it's very family friendly and we're happy here.

mazzamoo123 Sun 19-Mar-17 18:31:03

Thanks everyone - great to know which roads are good and there are a few for sale on Kenilworth at the minute. We'll go and have a look!

Amelle Mon 20-Mar-17 06:39:26

Cromwell Rd is lovely: Great Road. Balgowan catchment (if nothing else than for resale) easy walk to Clock House station, high street and Beckenham Spa. Also v v close to Beckenham Rec.

Bubbinsmakesthree Mon 20-Mar-17 15:11:08

If you're not planning to send your DC to the local primary I wouldn't get too hung up on catchments for 'sought after' schools, particularly if you're planning to stay put a while.

There's a new primary academy in Beckenham which has just opened and Bromley Rd has recently switched from infants to full primary, over time these might start to be desirable catchments.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now