Talk

Advanced search

Ideas for interior design?

(10 Posts)
Smith1 Fri 17-Mar-17 20:52:28

We've just moved house and need to decorate. But where do you get ideas on colour schemes, soft furnishings etc? I'm clueless where to start!

tittysprinkles Fri 17-Mar-17 21:13:40

I bought a lot of house and garden magazines, 25 beautiful homes etc etc.

There is a great book called Living With Colour which has loads of great colour schemes for Farrow and Ball paints.

I also used a lovely book called English Decoration by Ben Pentreath which has some great photos of classically English properties.

Wall colour was relatively straightforward but because we were struggling with curtains etc we used the John Lewis home design service which was worth every penny. You pay £250 and they visit your house, measure up for all your windows then you have a follow-up appointment in store where they show you the materials they'd suggest for you. You get that money back if you spend over a certain amount (which we did as we were doing the whole house up). What style do you like? What's your new house like?

7to25 Sat 18-Mar-17 08:44:33

The most useful thing to remember is that there are a million and one paint colours.
It is much easier to find paint to match carpets, curtains, sofas etc than vice versa.

wobblywonderwoman Sat 18-Mar-17 08:48:27

I buy magazines for inspiration

We also upcycle a lot- so I google for ideas

My open plan area was inspired by a favourite coffee shop

Another room- we bought a rug and from the colours in it, worked from there

Smith1 Sat 18-Mar-17 18:23:52

I don't know where to start with the hallway. It's quite a modern house with a wooden floor, but walls are currently just white. Magazines don't seem to do hallways!

LizzieMacQueen Sat 18-Mar-17 18:30:31

Pinterest. That will keep you occupied for hours!

Allthebestnamesareused Sat 18-Mar-17 18:35:27

Houzz website

JoJoSM2 Sun 19-Mar-17 00:17:35

Houzz is great. Just decide on a style and stick to it.

BingThing Sun 19-Mar-17 05:53:01

I agree that Pinterest is what you need! The ideal home website also has ideas for every room but not as easy to filter down the results as pinterest is. I also get homes & gardens magazine. I also steal ideas for bedrooms and bathrooms from hotel websites!

wobblywonderwoman Sun 19-Mar-17 09:30:44

We have wood panelling on ours. It looks really good and you can either paper above it or pain the panelling

Something like this could be nice

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now