Talk

Advanced search

Carlisle

(7 Posts)
Kerrieblue Fri 17-Mar-17 12:55:03

Hi, we are moving to Carlisle and are looking for nice areas with local amenities close to hand, shops, GP etc, not schools. Price range £200K can anyone advise?
Thank you.

wowfudge Fri 17-Mar-17 13:15:32

Carlisle was badly flooded not so long ago - check the risk on the Environment Agency website when you are looking at various areas and streets.

UptownFlunk Sat 18-Mar-17 23:28:38

Stanwix is a nice area, it's pretty sought after with good schools and amenities. Avoid the Warwick Road area as that's where the majority of the flooding took place. Do you want to live in Carlisle itself or are you interested in any of the little villages surrounding Carlisle?

Kerrieblue Sun 19-Mar-17 16:20:46

Hi thanks for all replies. Could live anywhere within five miles, just want nice area with a few local amenities, able to buy bread/milk, visit GP etc. So hard when you are not local to source these things. Many thanks for help.

UptownFlunk Tue 21-Mar-17 01:51:15

No problem, happy to help. If I were you (budget providing) I'd be looking at either Houghton or Dalston if you don't want to be right in Carlisle, they're both villages near to Carlisle. My favourite of the two is Dalston but Houghton is very, very sought after and a lovely place too. Dalston is a little further out - about 12 minutes to the centre by car compared to eight - but it is gorgeous and has a railway station so it's easy to get to Carlisle from there, it also has some lovely little shops and amenities of its own and is very pretty. What sort of house are you looking for and what sort of budget do you have if you don't mind me asking, I can advise you better if I have an idea.

UptownFlunk Tue 21-Mar-17 01:59:33

Sorry, I've just read your budget is £200k, don't know how I missed that! That's a decent budget but you'll get more for your money in Carlisle than the surrounding villages for that so I would advise looking there first. If you find any houses you like then you can always message me and I'll give you an idea about the area. smile Carlisle is a lovely city, I live a little further out but I plan to move there as soon as work permits. It's more like a large town really and it's surrounded by countryside so in a few minutes you can be somewhere really peaceful. There are some lovely parks in the centre of the town as well.

Kimblesuly Wed 03-May-17 23:53:51

Coincidentally, I too am thinking of relocating to Carlisle, and with a similar budget. Looking on rightmove, I've seen some lovely houses in Cargo (Edenside, to be specific), but having looked at the Environment Agency website for the flood-prone areas, I'm wondering how close the water actually came to that estate when the river broke its banks.....it looked pretty close, but then maybe it's on a bit of a hill (she said, optimistically!). Does anyone reading this have that sort of local knowledge please?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now