Talk

Advanced search

Would you prefer...

(17 Posts)
Theknittinggorilla Thu 16-Mar-17 21:21:51

1. Medium size kitchen (unusual shape - 7.5m long and half of it is 4m wide, the other half 2.5m wide, would fit small table) large separate dining room (5m by 5m), large separate lounge, small porch entrance (would be main route to enter house). Kitchen would be long and narrow. Laundry room upstairs.

2. Large kitchen diner (5m by 9m), large separate lounge, large boot room/utility room (would be main route to enter house). Laundry room upstairs.

Three kids, currently all under 5, mainly enter house at back through kitchen as cars park at back.

Please help, I can't decide what would work best!

KnittedDress Thu 16-Mar-17 21:28:24

2 - long thin rooms are awkward, especially if you could then only fit a small table in. There's no flexibility in that, a large kitchen diner is much more useable with a big family. Carrying food to a separate dining room to eat is, imo and ime impractical and annoying.

Theknittinggorilla Thu 16-Mar-17 21:32:27

Should also note - in option 1 dining room also used as playroom/family room, though there is also a bedroom used as a playroom on 2nd floor.

KnittedDress Thu 16-Mar-17 21:36:14

So in option 1 you are eating in the narrow kitchen? Is that how it is currently? Does it work if so?

I'd still go with 2 because I hate squeezing around a table, and I don't mind looking at toys so wouldn't mind play happening and toys being in the kitchen diner.

AnnieAnoniMouse Thu 16-Mar-17 21:38:51

Absolutely no question about it.

Fruitboxjury Thu 16-Mar-17 21:39:17

Knifegrinder Thu 16-Mar-17 21:40:16

Theknittinggorilla Thu 16-Mar-17 21:40:48

At the moment the kitchen is smaller (4m by 4m) with table in middle. We come in through large utility room but access to garden isn't great. Have option of knocking through kitchen and utility and adding patio doors, plus a porch to enter and for coats/shoes etc, or leaving utility and knocking through kitchen and dining room, with patio doors from dining room.

Currently eat in kitchen but a bit tight and dc3 hasn't arrived quite yet.....

justwanttoweeinpeace Thu 16-Mar-17 22:19:28

Miniwookie Thu 16-Mar-17 22:31:27

Definitely 2. Kitchen will be big enough to be kitchen/living/dining room and the separate room can be either a playroom or grown up space. Big boot room utility will be invaluable when they get older and dumping school bags/kit etc when they come in.

Fourbyfour Thu 16-Mar-17 22:54:12

The second option sounds best to me. Can you share floor plans so we can see the flow?

Theknittinggorilla Thu 16-Mar-17 23:01:26

Ok - second option is a bit more rough and ready as still waiting for plans but should give an idea....

Theknittinggorilla Fri 17-Mar-17 07:25:54

Have turned this so same way as option 1. Thoughts?

Fourbyfour Fri 17-Mar-17 07:39:38

Wheres the living room? Is it the same as the dining room or is it the space on the bottom right?

Theknittinggorilla Fri 17-Mar-17 07:41:14

I've cut the living room off - it's at the top of the dining room, access off the hall. Slightly bigger than dining room.

Theknittinggorilla Fri 17-Mar-17 14:43:04

Bump

irregularegular Fri 17-Mar-17 14:47:54

second option undoubtedly.

separate dining rooms are a waste.

large utility rooms are extremely useful.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now