Advanced search

What is this box on my house?

(21 Posts)
TileTileTile Thu 16-Mar-17 16:46:01


My house is 7 years old. I bought it 1 year ago. There is a weird metal box on the side of the house and I can't work out what it is. It is not the gas meter or the electric meter - the gas meter is on the other side of the house, and the electric meter plus trip switches are in my garage.

The box is fairly large, it's vented, it has various cables coming out that seem to have been put inside some guttering pipe, perhaps to protect them(?). It has always buzzed a little, as if it contains some sort of transformer or something. In recent months the buzz has got louder and the sound now bothers me when I'm in my living room.

Any ideas what the box might be? It is locked and I don't have a key for it - it's a weird key and not the usual key that would be used for a meter box.

Any suggestions welcome!

TileTileTile Thu 16-Mar-17 16:46:52

Here are some more pics of the under side of it

Idefix Thu 16-Mar-17 16:55:28

Water meter?

Where does the cable going in to the house go?

Idefix Thu 16-Mar-17 16:56:14

Tv/internet? No idea grin

TileTileTile Thu 16-Mar-17 16:57:42

The cable doesn't come out on the internal wall, so I can only assume it is going into he wall cavity and then going else where

TileTileTile Thu 16-Mar-17 17:01:10

We just pay for our water via council tax, so don't think it is a water meter. I'm in Scotland and I think it's rare to have a domestic water meter here.

PigletJohn Thu 16-Mar-17 17:15:48

Have you got solar panels?

Or an oil boiler?

does your water come from a (pumped) well?

show us a closeup of the keyhole

please show us your consumer unit ("fusebox") including the wires and cables around it, and any labels on or around it.

ShavenConnery Thu 16-Mar-17 17:17:21

Transformer/circuit breaker for outside lights/fountain or something? Maybe the previous owner liked to do the works with the christmas lights?

TileTileTile Thu 16-Mar-17 17:25:46

Mumsnet won't let me post any more photos for today but will post them tomorrow morning.

We have a gas boiler which is in the other side of the house. We don't have solar panels, or under floor heating (that was another explanation someone at work suggested).

Will post the pics as soon as I can! Thanks for replying.

TileTileTile Thu 16-Mar-17 17:26:34

I think it's just normal mains water, but will double check on the deeds.

Villagernumber9 Thu 16-Mar-17 17:38:16

Was you not left a key for it similar to a gas/leccy key?

TileTileTile Thu 16-Mar-17 17:39:49

It's a different key. We were left the gas Ines etc. But they don't fit this weird box! It's a mystery! confused

PigletJohn Thu 16-Mar-17 17:46:54

it's not the usual triangular key, but is it the one with the ears?

TileTileTile Thu 16-Mar-17 17:48:13

Yes! It's the one with ears. Thanks. Will buy a replacement key and hopefully seeing inside solves the mystery.

PigletJohn Thu 16-Mar-17 17:57:08

some supermarkets and hardware stores sell them, in a X-shaped 4-way key. Often blue,

wowfudge Thu 16-Mar-17 18:44:42

I think that may be where your mains feed for the electricity may go in. It's not necessarily where the meter or consumer units are. It isn't in our (old) house. Hence the buzzing you can here. If it is electrical there is probably contact info for the network supply company inside the box - call them if the noise has increased, they may be able to do something to sort it out for you.

MrsMoastyToasty Thu 16-Mar-17 18:47:33

Could it be a radon gas monitor?

wowfudge Thu 16-Mar-17 18:52:22

Ooh - I take that back: just seen your first set of pictures properly and can see the pipe going in and the pipe with a mushroom cap next to it. I now think it's water related.

CountMagnus Thu 16-Mar-17 19:24:04

Can't see that it could be anything to do with radon - you'd have an indoor monitor?

wowfudge Thu 16-Mar-17 19:26:35

Yep - it's radon levels inside which are key. I really want to know what it is though!

JaniceBattersby Thu 16-Mar-17 21:00:54

My husband's guess is it's a charging point for an electric car. He says it's definitely some form of transformer.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: