Talk

Advanced search

How can I make the front of this house look pretty?

(17 Posts)
Snowflake65 Wed 15-Mar-17 17:33:06

www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-47115021.html

Ugly 70s house, I can't decide if it is the render / brick mix or the gable that makes it look horrible.

The front is sweet with the picket fence etc

Allthebestnamesareused Wed 15-Mar-17 17:35:51

Personally paint the render a similar colour to next door rather than cream.

Again personally the fence looks naff and would have to go! One man's trash is another's treasure!

blueobsessive Wed 15-Mar-17 17:50:51

Second the suggestion of white render. Or sage green if you are keen to avoid white. Then colourful front door and lots of flowers in the front garden. I'd go full on roses, hollyhocks etc, but something lower maintenance could also look great).

I'm a fan of a picket fence (but I grew up with one so prob biased).

The house comes with two sheds in the back garden - one purple and one blue!

I currently live in a 1970s property - far uglier on the outside than this (mega brown)- but they are fab to live in on the inside. Lots of light, and decent sized rooms.

Chewbecca Wed 15-Mar-17 17:52:18

New England style wood cladding is going up on all the houses of that style in my area when they're being modernised.

Zampa Wed 15-Mar-17 17:54:16

Climbing roses around the door and a quick growing potato vine. Plants will hugely change the look of the house.

I actually don't think it's that ugly ...

Semaphorically Wed 15-Mar-17 18:04:52

It depends on how much you want to spend. I don't hate it, it just looks of its time. But if you wanted to really update it what about a mix of render and timber?

clippityclop Wed 15-Mar-17 18:09:17

Change the front door to racing green or something, lift some slabs and get more greenery going in the front. It's really not that bad. Save your money to spend on the inside.

Hawkmoth Wed 15-Mar-17 18:12:55

A nice black wagon wheel.

kingjoffreyworksintescos Wed 15-Mar-17 18:15:21

I would say it depends upon your budget but half render half cedar cladding is very smart and bang up to date , block paving in grey ( in lines like course of bricks ) maybe timber fence matching cladding or low wall in brick to show boundary line or if possibly open to pavement giving it an open feel

senua Wed 15-Mar-17 18:17:29

Soften it with planting.

Make the downpipes black (paint/replace?)

Notmyrealname85 Wed 15-Mar-17 18:19:44

Will take time but agreed on planting...currently looks a bit harsh. If you keep the white on Windows and doors maybe go for wisteria and get some hanging baskets? (But avoid too much for OTT effect)

If and when you have the cash change the front door and Windows?

HebeBadb Wed 15-Mar-17 18:31:48

It's not that bad. New windows, new front door, move that gutter pipe or make it blend in.

Girlwhowearsglasses Wed 15-Mar-17 18:37:19

I've seen lots of these near my DMs being done up with dark grey metal windows. They seem to look better. And a really nice solid modern wooden door with vertical planks- no panelling or fake oldness as it's a modern house.

The really poncey doer uppers get dark metal square-section guttering to replace the white plastic

Girlwhowearsglasses Wed 15-Mar-17 18:39:46

Like this actually

heffalumpshavewrinkles Wed 15-Mar-17 18:45:27

I used to know someone who lived in that village and I'd be more concerned about the smell from the sewage farm in the summer...

Snowflake65 Wed 15-Mar-17 18:53:22

Is it really bad then heffalump? I thought the sewage farm was some distance away...hmmm maybe a rethink on that then!

Thank you for all the positive ideas.

heffalumpshavewrinkles Wed 15-Mar-17 19:30:07

It can be very 'potent' depending on wind direction. I wouldn't live there sad

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now