Talk

Advanced search

Extending this house- roof design

(10 Posts)
SnowGlobes Wed 15-Mar-17 08:37:33

I'm looking at house that is a similar shape to the one one pictured. I want to do a 2 storey extension making it rectangular but how would the roof work please? Would another hip end work creating a valley? Any other ideas please? Huge thanks in advance!

JoJoSM2 Wed 15-Mar-17 09:36:59

I'd just extend the current roofline to look like it's always been like it. I've seen people extend with a flat roof and other botches but they just look awful.

SnowGlobes Wed 15-Mar-17 11:37:17

Agree JoJo what would be the best way to do that though please? I've tried googling roof extensions and alsorts but nothing appropriate appears. Thanks!

JoJoSM2 Wed 15-Mar-17 12:05:35

If it's more a technical question - perhaps a surveyor/structural engineer/Builder might've able to shed some light?

SnowGlobes Wed 15-Mar-17 13:38:13

I'm trying to guesstimate work involved as it a house is like to buy.

SnowGlobes Wed 15-Mar-17 13:38:54

It's a house I'd like to buy - crazy phone!!

whatsthecomingoverthehill Wed 15-Mar-17 14:42:34

I've tried to quickly markup what I think you mean. It does depend on the dimensions of it all. You could end up with a bit of a flat bit between your new section and the other bit that sticks out. There can be ways to get round it but then you might be needing to do more work. (The bit below is a plan of the roof with the existing lines in black and new in red).

gameofchance Wed 15-Mar-17 17:09:30

You need an architect. Impossible to comment without knowing things like roof construction, possible planning issues etc. A lot of architects will give you a bit of free advice. We did this when viewing a potential new property and then decided not to proceed

SnowGlobes Wed 15-Mar-17 19:18:13

Thank you over the hill I think it'll end up like that or increasing ridge height and doing a regular hip roof. I just wanted to see if it was doable or not.
I'm looking at so many houses that need work game if chance I can't keep getting architects out (mores the pity!). I've done it twice!!

whatsthecomingoverthehill Wed 15-Mar-17 20:29:10

No worries. I think increasing the ridge height would be tricky to do both practically and in getting through planning.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now