Talk

Advanced search

House decisions

(12 Posts)
HouseChoices Tue 14-Mar-17 17:19:58

2 houses. Both 4 bedroom detached, and fairly close to each other, but on different housing estates. Both in the same catchment area for local schools and similar distances to the schools.

House 1:
- £45,000 cheaper
- In a better 'location' in that it's at the very start of a housing estate but not on a main road
- Shared driveway, single garage (has been converted into 2 further rooms with light/power etc, ideal for DH's gym obsession)
- 1650 sqm inside
- Small-ish garden, pond, but beautifully landscaped
- No work needed beyond painting the walls/redecorating, all fitted out how we'd like it
- Built 2008
- On the housing estate we currently live on, my parents live here as well, not the nicest by any stretch but easily the best location to be for this estate, and close to amenities
- On market since November
- Sellers can't move until August as are emigrating
- Sellers seem a bit difficult

House 2
- More expensive
- Large driveway with parking for up to 10 cars, but no garage
- On a different "estate" and at the end of a road. Ex MOD houses, most terraced/semi detached. Is the only detached house on the street.
- 1900 sqm inside
- Subject to yearly rentcharge as unadopted roads, you get a share in the management company when you move there, company director lives on the street.
- Some covenants about building in the garden, have made enquiries and doesn't seem to be an issue
- Very large garden, but east facing
- Three protected trees in the garden, but well established long before house was built
- House is the only one on the street that is not ex-MOD, was built in 1995
- Would require some money spent on it to get it to the level we'd like, can be done bit by bit, nothing major
- Generally more possibility (crying out for conservatory and garage - had prior permission for garage which has since lapsed so should be possible to get again)
- Sellers can move out as soon as we need, no chain, also emigrating but will move out to stay with friends
- Was on market since May for 20000 more, dropped in November

There's nothing really else on the market and we have sold. We do genuinely like both houses but both of them have crap and good points!

HiDBandSIL Tue 14-Mar-17 17:23:34

I need to see photos and floor plans but I'm thinking neither...

HouseChoices Tue 14-Mar-17 17:33:32

Make that square feet, not metres. confused

KnittedDress Tue 14-Mar-17 17:36:36

I'd prob go with second - but links would help <nosey>

MaynJune Tue 14-Mar-17 17:53:13

I wouldn't buy a house with a shared driveway.

BreezyThursday Tue 14-Mar-17 18:57:31

I'd ultimately rather a bigger house with bigger garden (and lovely trees!) and own driveway to avoid any neighbour issues (however nice the neighbours may seem). Internal decoration can be done slowly, but you can't gradually gain more land. No unadopted road knowledge, mind.

Joinourclub Tue 14-Mar-17 19:26:23

Do you have the time, money, motivation for getting work done? I would love to move in to a house 'ready made'. I always thought I'd like decorating, but actually I don't now it's a reality. Especially now that I have kids, all the decisions are so bloody time consuming. So it would be option 1 for me.

JoJoSM2 Tue 14-Mar-17 22:51:48

I'd get house number 1. I'd be put of house 2 by having to maintain the road and deal with other residents + not being able to touch the trees. I also like the idea of having a gym and a gorgeous garden in house 1 + the fact it's not the only detached property on the estate,

Pigeonpost Tue 14-Mar-17 23:00:57

House 1. The trees and the unadopted road would put me off no 2.

Falafelings Tue 14-Mar-17 23:05:24

Photos yes.

Put very very very low offers on both and see what happens

Falafelings Tue 14-Mar-17 23:06:09

I prefer the sound of house 1

SnowGlobes Tue 14-Mar-17 23:39:42

Shared drive would put me off. That alone would push me towards the 2nd property. There's lots of private roads here that are paid for by the residents and it's no big deal at all - but check that there's a legally approved residents'/maintenance agreement etc. Do you have to purchase either just yet? Can you wait to see what else comes on?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now