Talk

Advanced search

Water leak nightmare, help!!

(10 Posts)
aspergersrus Tue 14-Mar-17 14:15:57

We have a water leak under our kitchen floor which is extensive. We have had the leak detected and now are awaiting for our insurance company to appoint someone to excavate the floor to find the leak. We will then have to pay for it to be repaired before the insurance company take over again and put it right. We have been told we will need about 6 weeks of having dehumidifiers in the house and it will be a major upheaval. I feel at the mercy of the insurers and am seriously concerned about how we can be expected to live in the house, eat, wash clothes etc with that all going on. Does anyone have experience of this situation who could advise?

dilapidated Tue 14-Mar-17 15:00:03

I am going through the exact same thing.

The insurance company came out, found asbestos, sent asbestos team, and they are now back there excavating the leak.

We happen to be living at my parents.

A friend had the same happen last summer with a leak under their kitchen and they were living out of the house for nearly 6 months and the insurance company put them up in hotels for the whole time.

PigletJohn Tue 14-Mar-17 16:09:26

an alternative would be to run a new pipe, cutting off and abandoning the old one.

Is this a concrete kitchen floor? How old is the house? Is it the supply pipe from the water main?

ShyTallSun Tue 14-Mar-17 17:10:44

Not affiliated in any way, but the 'temporary kitchen company' might be of use. Supply a kitchen in a caravan which can be plumbed in.

namechangedtoday15 Tue 14-Mar-17 17:25:29

Not recently but about 3 months before we got married, we went away for the weekend and the overflow pipe in the bathroom leaked - it was built into the wall behind the toilet and water travelled down the wall into the kitchen, all the kitchen cabinets on that wall warped and then it flowed under the wooden flooring in the kitchen and into the lounge. As we opened the door on coming home, there was a massive bulge in the lounge floor.

We weren't given the option to move out - I think we had about 6 weeks with no flooring downstairs and half a kitchen with 2 massive dehumidifiers. I think it was all finished and put right about a week before the wedding.

aspergersrus Tue 14-Mar-17 18:40:18

Hi piglet John yes it is a concrete floor, house built in 1947...nightmare. Pretty sure it's the main pipe into the house but we have a conservatory built on so can't see it

PigletJohn Tue 14-Mar-17 19:08:28

so it may well be an iron pipe that has rusted through. Possibly at the elbow where it turns upward to come through the floor. If so I would hesitate to spend time having it repaired because all the rest of the pipe will be the same age and no reason why only one bit of it should be rusty. So I would run a new plastic pipe. It does not have to be in the same route as the old one.

To see if it is the supply pipe, get someone to turn the stopcock on the water meter, or buried in the garden next to where the front gate used to be, on and off. If you are near the leak you will realise that the hiss of the leak stops and starts, even though you were not aware of the noise when it was constant.

If you are on a water meter, notify your water supplier of the leak, they may give a rebate for the wasted water.

If the leak is really under the conservatory, it might not have made the house itself very wet.

Look on the bright side, if you have a new, larger, plastic pipe run, you will get better water flow and can improve your plumbing.

Digging the trench and laying the pipe might take a couple of days, the dehumidifiers used might be the size of washing machines on casters and will suck in the damp air and blow out warm dry air. They are a bit noisy. They will warm the house and the insurance co will pay for the electricity. You shut the door on them as they work best in a closed room.

A house of that age should have effective DPCs in the walls, so the damp should not have got into the fabric of the house. If you need a new floor, it will incorporate a DPM so it does not matter if the ground underneath is damp.

aspergersrus Wed 15-Mar-17 08:18:15

Thankyou PigletJohn for your advise, i will update when I know more

dilapidated Wed 15-Mar-17 09:02:37

My leak was fixed last night.
From originally reporting it to the insurers on 6th march it's only taken just over a week and that has involved having 2 companies out (one to remove asbestos and one to excavate and repair the leak)

Luckily we haven't been left too damp so will dry out quickly and then we will be back to having floor and kitchen down.

It was a tricky leak to find but they managed to find it and repair it all within the day.

I am glad I went through insurance.
For a policy that cost less than £100 for the year and just a small excess this has saved us a lot of money and time

aspergersrus Wed 15-Mar-17 22:13:35

good news dilapidated, sadly I think our process with be longer...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now