Talk

Advanced search

Thinking of moving to Chingford? Any thoughts?

(18 Posts)
PopsicleBopsicle Tue 14-Mar-17 07:27:35

We are thinking of moving to Chingford, hopefully somewhere near the station. Properties seem to be reasonable, even near the forest so I'm worried it's not a nice area. This will be our forever house!

johnd2 Tue 14-Mar-17 09:34:42

Definitely nice, the trains can have issues if you need to get into the city as they're not very frequent, however you can get the buses every few minutes to the Victoria line.
Expect a big premium for closer to the station, if you can get on a bus route instead you'll save 150k easily on the same house.

CycleHire Tue 14-Mar-17 12:22:31

I grew up in Chingford (1980s/90s). We were happy there. Station Road is a bit more TOWIE than when I was growing up but then I'm old. I hear the train service has improved since it became the Overground. Victoria line Tube can be hot but at least you're likely to get a seat when you get on at Walthamstow.

CycleHire Tue 14-Mar-17 12:23:37

North Chingford (near the station) historically nicer than South Chingford (Chingford Mount) and I'd be surprised if that has changed.

Monkeypuzzle32 Tue 14-Mar-17 12:25:09

It's a lovely area, no real dodgy roads in North chingford, Chingford Mount isn't all as nice and Chingford Hatch isn't as nice but by the forest is lovely.

PopsicleBopsicle Tue 14-Mar-17 13:10:00

Thank you for all the replies. I was starting to worry as we have finally found a house we like but a couple of threads here historically saying it was a bit grotty. Already living in an area like that so don't want to be going to more of the same.

CycleHire Tue 14-Mar-17 16:52:13

Whereabouts is the house? Can you say without outing yourself?

highinthesky Tue 14-Mar-17 16:56:39

Chingford is great! (Despite bring in WF).

If you can afford it, go for it!

PopsicleBopsicle Tue 14-Mar-17 17:13:48

It's very close to the station, 0.2 according to Rightmove!

CycleHire Tue 14-Mar-17 18:16:07

Ok. I think most roads round there are pretty nice. There are some narrow roads with terraced houses (like Stanley Rd) off Station Road but they are priced accordingly.

Enjoy Chingford! I was happy there growing up 😀

ACatCalledFang Tue 14-Mar-17 19:08:13

Post a link, I may be able to advise on the bit of Chingford in question!

dynevoran Tue 14-Mar-17 19:39:50

We just moved back from Chingford to Walthamstow. Chingford feels much more suburban and not like living in London. Also totally different demographic and I prefer the diversity of Walthamstow and the political leanings. Aside from those things it's objectively nice with some nice restaurants, obviously amazing open spaces and lots of independent shops and some lovely houses.

user1498058162 Thu 29-Jun-17 18:17:52

Hello, hopping on this thread!

Desperately looking to move out of Walthamstow/St James Street Area and we are looking at Chingford as an option. I think I'd prefer to be forest side of Loughton but the overground is easier for DH travel.

Honestly, I don't feel safe at all in Walthamstow. I feel very trapped and as I work from home, completely house bound all day with very few options of nice places to go and sit and work with a coffee.

Are we going to have much the same in North Chingford? The green space is the most important thing to me, followed by a decent selection of coffee stops!

Any Chingford advice very welcome! Thank you x

user1471521070 Thu 29-Jun-17 19:23:10

This is a very pretty and quiet Close in South Chingford www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-57787222.html

sidesplittinglol Thu 29-Jun-17 20:37:57

Chingford is such a lovely place. People are friendly too. There are good schools if you have DC's. The houses are good too. I miss living there

thirtyplusone Fri 30-Jun-17 19:54:48

Thank you, we're just starting IVF so keen to get things moving (literally) asap! Off for some viewings this weekend smile One viewing in Loughton too but it looks a little too close to the action...

PetalMettle Fri 30-Jun-17 20:02:38

Loughton is VERY Towie these days

TuttiFruttiCutie Fri 30-Jun-17 20:12:58

I grew up in Chingford and Woodford, lovely areas.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now