Talk

Advanced search

Buying an exterior door: what do I need to know and where to go?

(6 Posts)
Goosegettingfat Tue 14-Mar-17 07:10:36

Any help gratefully received. I need to replace our back door. I don't think I'm opposed to Wood-look upvc. Wood is lovely too. I'm mainly just concerned with finding a very draft-free, decent quality one that I can order online (as our local window companies seem to do a really small range and I don't think I have time to wait for a joiner). I really don't know what to look for or where to look for it. Any advice or recommendations?

Ifailed Tue 14-Mar-17 07:14:17

Can you take a peep at neighbouring houses to see what they have?

frazzled3ds Tue 14-Mar-17 07:23:54

Can't say I know much about the door, but make sure that the lock you fit meets British Standards and the requirements of your home insurance smile

frazzled3ds Tue 14-Mar-17 07:25:00

Ooh and if ordering online, make VERY sure the measurements are absolutely spot on....!

namechangedtoday15 Tue 14-Mar-17 09:40:28

We were burgled via our back door last year and so as part of some building works, needed a new external door (although for the front door, we removed back door completely). From my research, Rockdoor and Solidor were recommended as solid, secure composite doors.

We went with Solidor, you can design the door via the website and they then put you in touch with a local company. Our builder then liaised with the local company, but you can go direct. Very impressed with them - absolutely no draught, feels really solid and secure. They're not cheap but worth it imo.

mrsmortis Tue 14-Mar-17 10:50:11

Also check your house insurance for what it requires in the way of locks. The requirements will be different for a back door than for a front (assuming the front door is your final exit door).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now