Talk

Advanced search

How much extra because house is detached?

(8 Posts)
StripyBlanket Mon 13-Mar-17 19:56:58

A semi very similar to ours is on the market for 225k. Ours is detached but a similar size plot. It's slightly bigger inside and has had more work done to it. How much do you think our house is worth?

We have the estate agent valuation but not quite sure....

heffalumpshavewrinkles Mon 13-Mar-17 20:24:33

I would pay about 20% more for a detached personally. If also a bit better I'd be thinking 275 roughly...

JoJoSM2 Mon 13-Mar-17 21:22:11

I think it depends on the area - the premium will be greater in some areas than others. How much bigger is yours than theirs? And has it got an ensuite, downstair loo, family kitchen, utility room etc all those things that attract a premium compared to the semi? Depending on a range of factors, I'd expect the valuation in the 250-300k bracket provided the other house is realistically priced at 225k.

StripyBlanket Mon 13-Mar-17 22:10:48

Thanks for your answers.

The houses are pretty much identical inside. Both with the same rooms (including en suite and downstairs loo). And this is where I struggle trying to work out if people would actually pay more for almost exactly the same house.

Blumkin Mon 13-Mar-17 22:15:17

It depends, on my street there seems to be no real price difference for the semi detached and detached houses coming onto the market in the last 2 years - they are all identical plot wise and similar floorplans. The one's that go for slightly more are the ones with 2 off road parking spaces (so you'd pay more for a semi with space for 2 cars than for a detached with space for one car)

lazydog Mon 13-Mar-17 22:18:04

Stripy - There are definitely loads of people like me who would never buy an attached property again, unless we absolutely had no other option, so, yes, people will pay more for a detached. I'd already decided to say probably around 275k, before reading heffalump's reply. smile

JoJoSM2 Mon 13-Mar-17 22:33:38

Similarly to lazydog, I'd pay extra to live in a detached house. When we were looking for the current place, we didn't view a single attached property as we definitely did not want to have neighboursright across the wall. Hate the sound travelling.

namechangedtoday15 Mon 13-Mar-17 22:44:25

I agree it depends on area and general housing stock. It also depends what value of property you're considering. 20% is massively out of kilter here, I'd say perhaps detached might add a premium of say £10-£15k at around that value, here, so I'd say detached would be say £240k. Here, there are roads / streets that command a premium, specific location in the village, school catchments etc. It doesn't really make much of a difference whether you're attached or detached unless you're comparing completely different properties. Houses with identical layout and plot size are much of a muchness value wise.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now