Talk

Advanced search

microwave in a cabinet?

(11 Posts)
sunglasses Mon 13-Mar-17 18:58:12

We have designed our new kitchen with a special cabinet with a lift up door to put our countertop microwave. We will have some clearance around sides and top and will always use it with the cupboard door open ( it lifts up out of the way) We are now being told the cabinet has to have no back in it and the socket for plug fixed to the wall behind. I think this looks a bit messy and we also previously had a mouse problem so not keen to encourage them back. Can anyone advise? Can we have a back in the cupboard if there is some space behind the microwave. It will look like this
www.shelving-ideas.net/15-microwave-shelf-suggestions/

sunglasses Mon 13-Mar-17 18:59:44

Its picture number 1 on the link

Wolfiefan Mon 13-Mar-17 19:01:39

How will it be messy? You will leave the door shut when it's not in use. Mine is like this. The cupboard door is rarely open. The socket needs to go in the wall!

FlyingFordAnglia Mon 13-Mar-17 19:04:19

We have a cupboard like this with a lift up door to match the oven. It doesn't have a back on it - we were told the same re regulations for ventilation. The wall at the back is painted the same as the whole kitchen and you can only really see it when the microwave is in use so it doesn't look messy. Much better to have the microwave hidden in my opinion! Our plug is also lower down so you don't see it, just the microwave which might be a compromise so you don't see wires.

sunglasses Mon 13-Mar-17 19:07:44

There is a gap between the cupboard and the wall which will be a perfect route up for any mice seeking a nice warm place to nest and I suppose I imagined that my brand new kitchen cupboards would be all nice and sealed in. Is it absolutely necessary if there is space between the back of the microwave and the back of the cupboard?

DancingLedge Mon 13-Mar-17 19:22:46

That's some veg storage in #14!
Iswym about mice. Any chance of sealing the gaps between the back edges of the cupboard and the wall with some sort of mesh- I'thinking the thin metal mesh sheets sold for car repairs? Strips cut. Bent at right angle to fill the gap, tacked to wall, painted to match wall.

DancingLedge Mon 13-Mar-17 19:26:57

Although if there's a gap behind all your kitchen cupboards, which is not sealed, then that will be a nice place for mice to be/travel along, even if the rest of the cupboards have backs so they have no actual cupboard access. Could anything be done to seal this gap against their access?

sunglasses Mon 13-Mar-17 19:49:10

Its a small run of tall cabinets with a built in fridge freezer in the middle and a pull out larder at one end with the microwave unit in another tall unit at other end There is a gap/ void behind the whole thing but obviously all the other things have a back on them. This small cupboard has a 13cm space between what would be the back of the cupboard and the wall so its not insignificant. The cupboard internal depth is about 52 cm and the microwave is only 34cm deep so there would be space all around it and the plug socket can be fitted into the cupboard. Can I not have a back?

bojorojo Mon 13-Mar-17 20:59:31

I would have just had a built in microwave - somewhat neater and easier!

JoJoSM2 Mon 13-Mar-17 21:27:03

You can ask your electrician (or do it yourself if you know how to) to take the plug apart. You drill a tiny hole in the back of the cupboard and put the plug back on. Then you plug in the microwave and install the cupboard. Although I'm not really sure how a mouse would even get there is the first place so it's potentially unnecessary.

sunglasses Mon 13-Mar-17 22:43:10

The issue is not with the plug socket. Its the ventilation required at the back of the microwave. The plug socket can be fitted inside the cupboard with a back on, I am being told we cant have a back because the microwave needs ventilation. I didn't have a built in one as I already have a microwave and its not something I use that often and so don't really need it to be on show. Does anyone know about the ventilation issues? It would be no different from having it sit inside a shadlow shelving unit which was fixed to a wall- i.e the wall would be like the back of a cupboard.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now