Talk

Advanced search

Make this kitchen workable without starting from scratch?

(16 Posts)
drspouse Mon 13-Mar-17 14:33:00

OK so this is a bad picture but the house we are moving into has the following:
Built in microwave and coffee machine (you can see the cup in the machine)
Free standing cooker, with hood over, dual fuel I think.
Built in dishwasher (right of sink)
Built in larder fridge (the unit not right by the door but just to its left as you look at it).

Also in outbuilding: Washer, dryer, extra fridge, and freezer.

And we have:
Lovely brand built in new double oven (it will fit in the microwave/coffee maker slot we assume as it seems to be standard, same kitchen company as our current kitchen).
Built in hob (so it's staying in our current house)
Free standing full height fridge freezer
Separate chest freezer
Free standing and quite nice dishwasher
Free standing and just average washer dryer.

So our chest freezer can go in the new dining room (it's currently in our dining room).
I think they are taking their washer and dryer so ours will go in the outbuilding till it dies/we get fed up (it seems they are happy to go out in the rain to get dry washing out of the dryer? You can't stand in the outbuilding so you also have to stand in the rain to unload it!)
Our double oven can go in the built in full height unit.
What are we going to do for a hob? Can you get a unit that will just take a hob?
If we take out the larder fridge, can we just put shelves behind that unit door?
If we did take out the built in dishwasher and its door, can we put our dishwasher in the slot (assuming it's the right size)?

Or (and this is DH's plan) could we take out the unit by the door from the dining room into the kitchen, move it into the cooker space (but it has a curved edge?) and put a hob in that?

Or (complete wild card) supposing we were to go for an unfitted kitchen (I quite like them but it would be hard to persuade DH I fear) could we get one unfitted unit for the cooker space?

Note that finances and practicality mean we can't rip out the kitchen and start again this side of about 2-3 years from now.

wowfudge Mon 13-Mar-17 15:34:26

Yes you can just use the fridge housing as a cupboard - Dsis did exactly this when the built in one they inherited with the house died and they put a freestanding one at the end of a run of units instead. Integrated dishwashers just have a door fitted and slot in; they don't get fitted into a carcass. The only issue you may have would be with the plinth under it, but you can just remove the bit under the built in machine and put yours in.

I would be highly pissed off as your buyer that you were taking the built in oven with you. Normally built in appliances are left in situ. Are your sellers leaving their freestanding oven or not?

SailAwaySailAwaySailAway Mon 13-Mar-17 15:38:59

What are the 3 little rooms at the back? Could you combine them into a workable utility room and put a porch on the back over the 2 doors so you wouldn't be going our in the rain which is ridiculous

drspouse Mon 13-Mar-17 15:44:10

The sellers offered to sell us their ten year old free standing cooker for £400.
So we declined.
The actual owners are moving overseas and a family member is currently living in the house and moving into rented accommodation once we complete, and then buying a small place to share with friends. So I'm not sure what they are planning to do with it and we may find it still there... And we have a gap between completion and moving in, so we could rethink.

I know it's annoying taking our oven, but it's top of the range and brand new (our old one started short circuiting about 2 months ago and we only decided to sell about a month ago), they can get a double oven for much less (and less than we would want for it). The EAs didn't suck in their teeth or anything when we mentioned it so I'm guessing it's not totally unheard of.

If it's make or break we'll buy them a cheaper one and have it installed before we leave - it was quick and easy to get it installed.

Good to know about the built in appliances - we could put in our dishwasher if we wanted, and then some more shelves in the other one I think.

Not really sure about the hob though!

drspouse Mon 13-Mar-17 15:45:45

What are the 3 little rooms at the back?
First one's an outside loo - DH is suggesting a porch over the back door and that one to make a proper downstairs loo - great minds and all that.

And if we find everything won't fit in the kitchen after we've bedded down a bit we could see about extending it to the second one.
The third one is a garden shed and the back gate is right by that one so we could I suppose have a walk way all the way to the back gate!

drspouse Mon 13-Mar-17 16:28:19

By the way I've just checked our listing on Rightmove and there's nothing about the oven (so it's not preventing viewings) but maybe we can say "negotiable" and then state that the negotiation is on whether we find a cheap one and fit it or they find what they want and we recommend our fitter!

wowfudge Mon 13-Mar-17 16:53:30

The listing isn't really relevant as the EA will caveat that it is up to the buyer to clarify what is included in the sale so as not to be held responsible for anything they have got wrong. What is material is what you put in the fittings and contents forms your conveyancer sends you to complete.

Your solicitor will advise how best to deal with things - if you want to take the built in oven with you then best to just replace it with a cheaper one imo. You might want to do that before your buyers have any further viewings.

drspouse Mon 13-Mar-17 17:11:11

We should complete in a couple of weeks, all being well, if we get an offer before that we can discuss fittings and suggest we replace it - we'll be away after that for a couple of weeks and then are hoping to move so at that point - having not thought this through very well I realise it's going to look very odd, if the space is empty!

drspouse Tue 14-Mar-17 09:27:29

OK we have a plan on our own kitchen - when we move, we're going to get the microwave from the other house and AN Other Single Oven (Curry's, ebay, FB or something cheap that works) and put them in our oven housing.

But I still need to know about hobs and it's driving me bananas - all my searches bring up oven housings which leads me to believe there is no such thing as a hob housing.

Bamaluz Tue 14-Mar-17 15:42:32

A hob can be fitted straight into a worktop, so you buy any base unit and fit it into the worktop over that.

drspouse Tue 14-Mar-17 16:42:34

It is going to look odd with a different top/front but I have had some further ideas/advice now.

BreakfastAtSquiffanys Tue 14-Mar-17 16:57:23

I added an extra standard alone unit to my kitchen. I couldn't get a matching door so instead I went for contrast brushed stainless steel deep pan drawers in that unit and was able to get similar bar handles to my existing units (like your new kitchen). Then I also changed another existing cupboard and door to the same stainless steel drawers to make it look more planned.
The cupboard I chose to change was sited opposite the new stand alone unit so the symmetry looked nice.

NotMeNoNo Tue 14-Mar-17 18:11:21

What are you going to do with your tall fridge freezer - did I miss that?

NotMeNoNo Tue 14-Mar-17 18:20:39

Right you have some units doors and worktop. Can you get a length of matching or nearly matching worktop from the kitchen supplier? I did this, it had been discontinued but they found one ex display bit. I would buy a new 60cm base unit- if not ikea then any other will fit, no door. Put the dishwasher door onto this and put it in cooker slot, unscrew the curved unit from wall and budge it along to meet the new one. Get new worktop put in with hob over new unit. You will need a new length of plinth too. Fridge housing you can just put in shelves or a pull out behind the fascia you will need to buy hinges. This is about a days work for a carpenter honest.

NotMeNoNo Tue 14-Mar-17 18:20:39

Right you have some units doors and worktop. Can you get a length of matching or nearly matching worktop from the kitchen supplier? I did this, it had been discontinued but they found one ex display bit. I would buy a new 60cm base unit- if not ikea then any other will fit, no door. Put the dishwasher door onto this and put it in cooker slot, unscrew the curved unit from wall and budge it along to meet the new one. Get new worktop put in with hob over new unit. You will need a new length of plinth too. Fridge housing you can just put in shelves or a pull out behind the fascia you will need to buy hinges. This is about a days work for a carpenter honest.

NotMeNoNo Tue 14-Mar-17 18:21:31

Sorry for multiple post

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now