Talk

Advanced search

What would you prioritise - inside or outside space?

(23 Posts)
KnittedDress Sun 12-Mar-17 16:01:05

I have 4 DC who are young enough that 2 can share a room, so I'm hunting for a 4-5 bedroom house, but if it's a 4 bed it needs potential to extend for a fifth bedroom in a few years time.

In my budget I have options of 4 beds with larger gardens, or a few 5 beds but with smaller gardens.

I like gardening and want some space for that and outdoor play space for the DC. I'm just wondering what to prioritise - existing inside space or outside space?

If I go for an existing 5 bed then I save £££ and hassle as no need to expand, but will I regret smaller garden? Not postage stamp but 30-40ft rather than 60-70ft with the 4 beds. All of the 4 beds I'm considering could be extended without eating into garden space.

So for e.g. One of the 5 beds on my list is this
http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-62927882.html

And one of the 4 beds is this (part of the garden is behind the hedge at the end - so it's bigger than it looks)
http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-58065295.html

(In case anyone feels like searching for me - I know I could get more for my money south of the river but I want to stay north for Reasons smile)

Blankscreen Sun 12-Mar-17 17:02:59

I don't think it's the size of the garden with thr 5 bed house but the fact that is tiered which makes it awkward. Also the layout of the house would be very annoying with young children. There no easy access out into the garden and one of thre bedrooms is downstairs.

With those two as my choices I would buy the 4 bed any day.

KnittedDress Sun 12-Mar-17 17:12:21

Yes, those are my exact reservations - although I think garden access is ok - it's from the middle storey. I only need 4 beds right now, so the ground floor would only be used as guest room/playroom/utility room initially. I think that some fun play things could be added to make the most of the tiered garden, like a slide from one level to another.

Location of 5 bed is not ideal - a bit too far from town, but inside space is swaying me. It's a spectacularly ugly house too...

Qwebec Sun 12-Mar-17 17:16:50

With 4 children, are you sure you want to throw youself into a large project like an extension?

KnittedDress Sun 12-Mar-17 17:19:59

Exactly - that's what I'm weighing up, and why I'm trying to decide what's more important - inside or outside space - argh. Seems I can't get both.

Chewbecca Sun 12-Mar-17 17:23:54

The 4 bed has potential to be much better than the 5 bed has, the 5 bed is so awkward, will always be annoying.

I don't think the choice here is between inside and outside space, it's between a well laid out house/garden and an irritatingly laid out house/garden.

KnittedDress Sun 12-Mar-17 17:34:50

Fair point - has also crossed my mind. There's another 5 bed in the running that's not got an annoying layout - but the two reception rooms are quite small and it's a brick wall between them so more pricey/tricky if I wanted to open it up.

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-44810799.html

Chewbecca Sun 12-Mar-17 17:49:11

The 2nd 5 bed is loads better and has a good garden too, plus doesn't need anything like the amount of updating the 1st two properties need.

Chewbecca Sun 12-Mar-17 17:51:01

I wouldn't knock the two sitting rooms through on the 3rd house, you have an open plan kitchen dining room already. I'd keep them separate, as they get older, separate rooms work better anyway giving opportunity for different activities / visitors to be in different rooms.

Chewbecca Sun 12-Mar-17 17:51:30

( 'they' being children)

BoboChic Sun 12-Mar-17 17:56:21

The third house is SO much nicer in every possible way than the previous two!

KnittedDress Sun 12-Mar-17 17:57:28

Yes, I think you're right. The third was actually my fav, but that was when I was thinking I could get it closer to £650 as it's been on the market since July, but having spoken to the EA the owners have refused 3 offers quite close to asking as they have a specific figure they need to achieve to move on, so I think it's too much for me.
On that one i would be considering converting the attic if I could ever afford it to get a bigger room for one of the DC - so the youngest wouldn't be stuck in the tiny box room forever.

At the end of the day I'll prob offer on it, but it'll prob be refused so I need a plan b.

SwedishEdith Sun 12-Mar-17 17:58:20

Oh, that second one is much better.

DragonNoodleCake Sun 12-Mar-17 17:58:49

What ages are your children?
The flow of the 4 bed seems better to me for now, especially the ground floor. I love the utility and snug. The space of the 5 in the long run seems better.
The 4th bedroom in the 4 looks tiny.

I have a 6 (tho the 5th is a small single and the 6th a nursery at best - it's actually my 'getting ready room') but the flow is better than the 5 you linked to. The top floor is the master suite smile

The 5 would be awesome if you had a couple of teenagers. If fact it would suit my 'not usual' family of teenage DD1 my 4 month DGS and 5 year old DD2 very well.....
Glad I live in Scotland though... mine was half the price grin

If your DC are very young, go for the 4 - as you'll spend way more time in the main living spaces.

DragonNoodleCake Sun 12-Mar-17 18:01:38

Just saw the third link - this is the one I'd choose. I'd also leave the two rooms separate. Then you can have a nice sitting room at the front and keep all the kids stuff separate at the back smile

SwedishEdith Sun 12-Mar-17 18:01:49

I don't know the area at all but is this any good?

www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-45382329.html

ohforfoxsake Sun 12-Mar-17 18:03:34

I had exactly the same scenario. I compromised on the garden, so wet for 5 beds. My reasoning was that as they get older, outdoor space becomes less important. They'll want their own bedrooms and have friends over. We don't use the garden much, have a lovely park just down the road.

JoJoSM2 Sun 12-Mar-17 18:05:10

I would go for a bigger house with a smaller garden (live in one of those myself lol). Not a fan of the tiered garden as each level seems pretty small. However, a wide 30-40ft garden gives you enough options - you can easily enough put up a badminton set, have a trampoline or a frame or a tree house. For any games that require a lot of space, you can go to the park (a 60-70ft garden probably wouldn't be big enough anyway). A bigger house can be quote useful as that's were everyone spends majority of their time.

In terms of you enjoying gardening, I think there still would be some scope in a smaller garden. Especially considering the front garden as well. I think it could keep you pretty busy.

Looking at the houses that you've posted links to, the 4-bed looks terribly dated and you'd need to spend a small fortune on sorting it out.

NapQueen Sun 12-Mar-17 18:05:41

Two kitchens in the 5bed? How odd!

KnittedDress Sun 12-Mar-17 18:09:34

I viewed that one swedish - inside is lovely but garden is ridiculously small. Also it's a corner plot on a main road and feels very exposed.

The 4 bed would certainly work in the mean time - I have a 10 yo and 3 under 5 so plenty of time until I 'need' a 5th bed. I would be looking at extending over the garage to add 5th bed and bathroom - and taking space from existing bathroom to make 4th bed bigger. It is a better location that the 2nd 5bed - easier to get to town and better school catchment.

Gosh, this is so hard. My mum says that if it's meant to be it will be when it comes to houses. <sigh>

I've made bad housebuying decisions in the past though, and I want this to be our 'forever' home.

KnittedDress Sun 12-Mar-17 18:11:51

napqueen - yes it is isn't it! I think they used it as a sort of granny annex. I'd use it as a utility room but having a second oven would certainly come in handy at Xmas.

KnittedDress Sun 12-Mar-17 18:13:49

The 3 storey 5 bed is right next to a large open space leading straight out into countryside - my parents actually protested against the development in the 80s, ironic that I'm even considering it now...

sunshinesupermum Sun 12-Mar-17 18:14:02

2nd five bed house looks fab with no major work other than perhaps knocking down one wall and gorgeous garden. Hope your offer is accepted.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now