Talk

Advanced search

How much will it cost to get one ceiling and front door painted?

(8 Posts)
Nic8880 Sat 11-Mar-17 14:47:54

Hi, I will be contacting painters in the next few weeks to get actual quotes but I'm not sure if I can anywhere near afford it at the moment so wanted your guys' knowledge first!

I did an absolutely shambolic job of painting the ceiling in my living room (medium sized) a few months ago. It's patchy all over and I've had hell trying to cover up an old black water stain (tried all the tricks in the book, watered down pva to seal etc) which is impossible to cover up, so I just want someone to go over the whole ceiling for me so it all looks neater.

I also want my front door painted (external side only). It's currently the original white composite door the house came with, but many other houses on my street have had theirs painted and I would like the same, along with my little gas box on the outside of the house so it matches.

Can anyone give me a very rough ball park figure of how much each of these jobs will set me back!? Is your bog standard painter/decorator able to/experienced in painting outside stuff like my front door?

Thank you.

Kiroro Sat 11-Mar-17 15:02:32

Not the answer you were looking for - but I used this to cover water stains on a cealing and it worked v well. Then just rollered the cealing with dulex PBW matt.

Kiroro Sat 11-Mar-17 15:02:41

Link woudl help

www.screwfix.com/p/zinsser-cover-stain-primer-white-1ltr/17114

OnceUponATimeInLondon Sat 11-Mar-17 15:06:21

That zinsser will cover the stain well. Avoid pva in the future, it doesn't work well and is hard to cover.

Can't give exact quote obviously as not a decorator and don't know area but wouldn't think more than a days work, so not more than a couple of hundred quid if you want ballpark hundreds or thousands for example.

Not sure about painting composite door rather than wood, never heard of that being done.

PigletJohn Sat 11-Mar-17 15:37:56

the gas box can be painted with non-drip gloss, one flowing coat, no primer or undercoat, but must be very clean and dry, preferably rubbed with white spirit first, and wire wool if ingrained dirt or eroded surface. I have only used oil paint which works well. Same method for plastic water and drain pipes. IME lasts about 20 years before it is dull enough to need repainting. A colour to tone with the wall looks less obtrusive.

The door will have a plastic or GRP skin, the same method would probably be OK, but have not tried it. Your painter will presumably be experienced and local.

PigletJohn Sat 11-Mar-17 15:41:37

p.s.

you could also contact the door makers and ask their advice for repainting. It might affect their guarantee.

If you want new handle, knocker or letterbox, have the old ones taken off before painting. Products are now available in PVD brass on stainless, which is a very durable plating. Don't polish it.

PoundlandUK Sat 11-Mar-17 15:45:25

Having used both, I'd strongly recommend zinsser BIN over Cover Stain. It's a shellac and nothing gets through...it's stinky to work with but totally worth it.

Nic8880 Sat 11-Mar-17 15:52:32

Thanks guys. Even if I fixed the stain, the whole ceiling is poorly done so I want the whole thing repainted by a professional. Shouldn't have mentioned the stain! Ha

Good point about handle/letterbox for front door....

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now