Talk

Advanced search

Rough cost of putting a velux window in?

(14 Posts)
LadyNellCardross Sat 11-Mar-17 11:14:43

I'm getting ready to tackle our family bathroom which is quite dark and dingy. It has a sloping roof though so I'm considering putting in a velux window to open it up. The roof was replaced 3 years ago so in good nick. Is this a big job and any idea of cost? Plus I've never used one before so any pros and cons to consider? Thanks.

RaisinsAndApple Sat 11-Mar-17 13:41:05

I recently paid £250, excluding cost of actual window.

RaisinsAndApple Sat 11-Mar-17 13:42:18

The only con ime is that you can't leave them open if there's any chance of rain... otherwise they're really great!

wowfudge Sat 11-Mar-17 14:06:31

Ah, but you can buy them with sensors so that they close automatically when it starts to rain. You can also get a control panel for them to operate them remotely. Not cheap though. We had velux windows fitted in a newly vaulted roof - I can't remember the fitting costs as they were part of other work. We went with the noise reduction ones as that side of the house is close to a busy road. We only have the white painted ones.

wowfudge Sat 11-Mar-17 14:06:51

We also have the white - not only!

LadyNellCardross Sat 11-Mar-17 17:03:02

Thanks everyone, that's not as much as I'd feared. Can you remember the cost of the actual window? I don't need the sensor as we already have another window in the room that we can open. Thanks again for the help.

RaisinsAndApple Sat 11-Mar-17 18:00:11

I can't remember but I do remember that I had to buy the flashing kit separately - super essential! (Otherwise they leak...)
Quick Google tells me they start from £250 inc VAT and flashing for the smallest one, so that doubles the cost at least sadly.

LadyNellCardross Sat 11-Mar-17 18:16:39

Thanks Raisins. That's still better than I thought so I'll look into it some more.

5amisnotmorning Sat 11-Mar-17 19:46:20

£1.5k for triple glazed large size including make good. Had a few quotes.

cavershamtights Sat 11-Mar-17 19:56:05

You wouldn't need a large one in a bathroom - it's amazing how much light even a very small one brings in smile

ArriettyClock1 Sat 11-Mar-17 19:57:58

Don't forget you need to make an application to building control because it's a structural opening, unless it's very small and fits between your rafters.

So you can add about £300 to the cost.

CowLickBuddha Sat 11-Mar-17 19:59:06

I was quoted approx £2k depending on the size and spec. We don't have them yet though envy

nonwonderwoman Sat 11-Mar-17 20:46:31

I was quoted £1k for a large velux in the south east. Plus £500 for replastering. £250 sounds amazingly cheap - but then I guess the window is about £500?

wowfudge Sat 11-Mar-17 20:49:58

I think we paid around £650 for the 2 windows, which included the flashing kits. Our builder gave us the catalogue which had all the prices in it - it was completely transparent. We had the ceiling vaulted and the velux are to bring light in - it was a low-ceilinged, dingy room before.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now