Talk

Advanced search

Neighbour's ramshackle, short fence. Ideas?

(14 Posts)
FiddleFigs Fri 10-Mar-17 12:18:23

Our neighbour is a landlord who is not terribly interested in the appearance of his garden - nor are his tenants. The fence, which is his responsibility is very ramshackle (though just about standing) and only about 3 foot tall. I've asked about replacing it (with a tall, sturdy fence), and sharing the cost, and he is not interested in this. As far as he is concerned, the fence is fine.

Any thoughts on what I could do to improve the boundary? Is it mad to erect another fence on my side of the fence?

Kiroro Fri 10-Mar-17 12:52:42

Is it mad to erect another fence on my side of the fence?

No. Do this. You get to have whatever fence you want, you can match all the way round your garden and not have to look at his shitty fence any more.

Lexilooo Fri 10-Mar-17 12:58:36

When we had this problem we put up trellis and grew climbers up them

Fireinthegrate Fri 10-Mar-17 13:05:22

Definitely erect a fence on your own side. Make sure you leave the neighbours fence there though

spydie Fri 10-Mar-17 13:16:49

We ran willow screening along our old neighbours fence. We were planning to put the house on the market within a year and didn't want to spend too much, it cost about 250 to do a 100ft length. Actually looked quite nice and still let light through to their side.

witwootoodleoo Fri 10-Mar-17 13:19:35

I'd just whack up my own fence flush with his. As long as it's less than 6 foot you shouldn't need permission unless your house is listed or in a conservation area

insomniaat4am Fri 10-Mar-17 13:28:59

We had the same. A rented property both sides of us with 3 foot high fences. We did trellis on both sides with climbers. It looks fine and worked out cheaper than full fences. We kept the 3 foot fence and just added trellis panels on our side.

HiDBandSIL Fri 10-Mar-17 17:44:59

I would offer to pay the full cost - which he'll surely agree to - and replace the current fence. That won't cost you any more than building your own fence against the current one and you don't risk losing any land down the line to adverse possession. I speak from bitter experience here.

VeritysWatchTower Fri 10-Mar-17 19:09:33

By erecting your own fence you get to choose what it looks like.

Unless there are trees in the way of putting your fence smack bang up to the neighbours fence I cannot see why losing 6-10 inches of a garden is a big deal.

I have spent many years on GardenLaw website about boundaries/fences. Search on there. It is a regular occurrence and the solution always suggested is your own fence unless you cannot put your fence right up to theirs otherwise you do risk them claiming the extra land you put between your fence and theirs for trees and the like.

HiDBandSIL Fri 10-Mar-17 22:44:20

I don't think the landlord will care what it looks like as long as you're paying so it's the best of both worlds to pay to replace the existing one.

If you live in a large property you may not mind losing a bit of land. I live in a terrace with a 4.5m wide plot and am currently in the process of losing 10 inches to my neighbour because of a double fence situation and it's shit.

FiddleFigs Sun 12-Mar-17 10:06:59

Thank you all - lots to think about. I do like the idea of trellis rather than fence, especially as we're not expecting to be here for more than a few more years.

Pradaqueen Mon 13-Mar-17 03:04:40

Definitely do not attach trellis to a fence that you do not own. This can also create issues (I also speak from experience here). Put up a fence of your own choosing on your side flush with the crappy fence. Do not remove a fence that is not yours. The landlord is not engaging so forget about next door and move on would be my advice!

bojorojo Mon 13-Mar-17 21:04:21

Do your own fence. It is the only solution and it can be 2m High if you wish. You cannot put trellis over manky fencing. Or plant a hedge.

FiddleFigs Wed 15-Mar-17 14:11:06

Thanks all. I think we're going to go with 6 ft trellis panels on our side, with our own fence posts etc and not interfere with the neighbour's fence at all.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now