Talk

Advanced search

Integrated tumble dryer

(13 Posts)
Alwaysfrank Fri 10-Mar-17 10:22:08

My (very) old integrated condenser tumble dryer still works but has a couple of issues, so I decided to price up a replacement. I was shocked to discover that it's not possible! Our local appliance shop told me it's because they aren't suitable for being in a cupboard so they don't make them any more! Well as mine has been working perfectly well in a cupboard for the best part of 20 years I find that a bit hard to believe! It also appears that integrated washer/condensing dryers are still sold so presumably they don't mind being in a cupboard?!

To be fair, when I had my first replacement washing machine probably 15 years ago, the guy that fitted it told me I'd be in trouble if the tumble dryer ever went wrong as they didn't make them any more, but I thought he was exaggerating! Turns out he wasn't.

Is this something every one else knows and I'm just a bit slow on the uptake?! hmm

HomeExtender Fri 10-Mar-17 12:11:51

We have a condenser td in our utility. We bought it about 7 years ago. I dint knwonteyd stopped manufacturing them, if they did! Can you find any online?

heffalumpshavewrinkles Fri 10-Mar-17 12:21:01

I've never seen an integrated t/d.

HomeExtender Fri 10-Mar-17 12:33:09

Whoops I misread your post! Our condenser td is not integrated. Sorry for the confusion!!

Alwaysfrank Fri 10-Mar-17 12:40:28

No, none online, of the condenser variety. One or two integrated vented models but that's it!

Kiroro Fri 10-Mar-17 12:46:49

There is one but it is like over £1k!

I think the way an all in one WM/TD condenses is different to the way a standard condenser TD condenses hence the difference between being able to get an integrated TD and an integrated TD WM- Which? says:

Condenser The condenser in a washer-dryer cools moist, hot air inside the machine, producing water which pours down the drain. This process uses a lot of water itself, making some washer-dryers a poor choice for people with a water meter.'

Alwaysfrank Fri 10-Mar-17 12:50:03

What make is the one you have found, Kiroro?

Kiroro Fri 10-Mar-17 13:03:10

Agh I can't find it on line any more - I found it a few months ago when someone asked the same question, but I can't find my post under previous usernames. Sorry!

I found it last time by googling but then it was the absolute only one that came up so maybe (?) months later it isn't available any more.

Alwaysfrank Fri 10-Mar-17 13:24:50

Thanks for looking. When I was googling yesterday there was mention of a £1300 Miele semi-integrated one on other old forum threads, but I couldn't actually find it for sale.

origamiwarrior Sat 11-Mar-17 08:38:48

Would it be possible to buy a smaller non-integrated one and just have it live inside the cupboard recess and rehinge the integrated door to make it a normal door?

Alwaysfrank Sat 11-Mar-17 11:09:45

That's what the appliance shop suggested. But then I'm thinking it might just be easier to buy a full size washer dryer but only use it for drying?! It's all hypothetical at the moment as the old one still works but I'm trying to formulate a plan for when it doesn't!

bbcessex Sat 11-Mar-17 17:29:30

Washer dryers are nowhere near as good, imho.

We had a condenser dryer that we just housed in a kitchen cupboard, against advise. It was absolutely fine.

I did catch fire *or would have, had I not have smelled the burning, mind you, but not because of the cupboard!

Second dryer with a burning prob. They really do need to be monitored which is prob why integrated models are no longer common..

bbcessex Sat 11-Mar-17 17:30:20

*it did.. not me, thankfully!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now