Talk

Advanced search

Offers over....gah!!!

(9 Posts)
Honeyandfizz Thu 09-Mar-17 21:33:41

West Midlands are where I live weeks to have gone a bit crazy with populate houses selling at this offers over business. Too many buyers and too few sellers. I've already lost out on two despite going over 20k on each (one at 240+ and one at 300k +). This one is perfect EXCEPT the fact it's never been touched and STANK of urine to the point I can still smell it.

Question is what should I offer? I know a local builder is viewing but there's not much extension opportunity on this one plus the smell of piss make put the others off!! It's on at oieo 250k I can go up to 280k, will this be enough!?!! I'm tearing my hair out stressing about it blush deceased estate btw.

cavershamtights Thu 09-Mar-17 21:39:18

Do you know what you'd have to do to get rid of smell? If it's so bad might it have sunk into the floorboards? I'd be very wary of the cost of de-stinking it, and research that extremely well before deciding what to offer...

Honeyandfizz Fri 10-Mar-17 05:17:09

Goodness should have proof read that before posting! Was meant to say I live in a popular area of the west mids where the houses I'm looking at sell overnight with several offers.

The stench was vile and I'm a community nurse so used to that sort of thing! I honestly don't think it's ever been touched since the day it was built, walls heavily stained with nicotine too. Think the urine was soaked into the rugs and what little carpet there was. Good thing is it has all its original features intact and a huge south west facing garden.

SilenceOfThePrams Fri 10-Mar-17 06:18:21

Having moved into a house like that, you need to factor in the probability that the urine has soaked into the floorboards. Very likely you will need to replace them all. And if it's upstairs, potentially it will have sunk into the ceiling of the rooms below.

De-stinking is possible, but if it's that bad, it's unlikely just to be a case of removing the carpets and rugs (seriously, if that's all it would take, they'd've done it to get a better sale).

So offer what you like, but make sure you've left enough money out of the offer to replace floorboards, and potentially chip off plaster and replace that too.

Jaynebxl Fri 10-Mar-17 06:21:20

I'd offer 255 and take it from there. You can always offered more if they turn that down but when you make the offer you could say you'll have to keep some back to deal with the wee!

JoJoSM2 Fri 10-Mar-17 07:51:26

Have you looked into the cost of refurbishing the place? I'd start off by working out how much the house would be worth when done up, take money off for doing he work and some more to make sure you don't end up out of pocket. And stay reasonable in this hot market.

Honeyandfizz Fri 10-Mar-17 09:05:40

Refurbishing it isn't too bad for me as stbxh is an electrician and does damp proofing so will do it all that and I'll pay for materials. Brother is a plumber so he will do that at trade prices. Windows are all double glazed so that's ok. My main costs will be decorating/plastering/new kitchen/new bathroom. The dc and I can always stay at his place too until I get the basics sorted.
I
Unfortunately you don't get to negotiate on the initial offer it's several offers at best & final. I'm loosing out to cash buyers/builders on the ones I like. I offered 20k over on the last house & still lost out sad

It's a shame as the floorboards are in brilliant untouched condition (apart from the urine!!) going to go back for a second viewing I think but I know a builder is looking at it and he's buying one across the road from this one too. Such a bloody difficult market!

Mehfruittea Fri 10-Mar-17 09:12:04

I read an interview with Kirsty Allsop where she said she bought a house that stank of cigerette smoke and walls were stained. It took her a long time and lots of different attempts to get rid of the smell. She ended up replastering every wall and ceiling in the house to get rid of the stench.

She is always pregnant though, so maybe she just had hyper sensitive nose?!

shirleycartersaidso Fri 10-Mar-17 09:15:45

Our house was offers over, we were the first people to see it and went £1k over. They needed the figure to make their move happen and we offered on the spot.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now